clarification please ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bowhunterleroy, Jun 6, 2013.

1. bowhunterleroy

bowhunterleroy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so besides lots of drama with my now ex gf, i have been putting my bow on the back burner for a while, sadly :jaw:

ive been doing research on alloy arrows and carbons and i cant get over the fact that theres stories about carbon arrows blowing up and going into someones hand.

yesterday i decided to re-cut and fletch some beeman bowhunters. my arrows went from about 580gr to 450~

it seemed like my bow ( or me ) became more accurate and it kinda peaked my interest in going lighter.

my hopes and wants of pig hunting are gone now since my city is a POS so i think at most ill be setting up coyotes near properties, so hunting is going to be taken out of the equation from now on.

so my question is, if i wanted to start going super light with my arrows, is there a scary risk with carbons blowing up in my hand? my bow is 70 lb & 30" the bemans are shooting fine and im slightly concerned with shooting so light that i beat the bow up.

anyone out there wanna shed some light for a sorry fool like myself ?

2. bowhunterleroy

Dislikes Received:
    my alloy arrows were 580, the beman came out to around 453 ish

3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The light weight of the arrow would be a bow concern. Most bow makers say 5 grains per pound minimum, 70# - 350 grains.

The spine is what you need to look at if you arr worried about your arrows. Make sure the are spined heavy enough for your draw weight and lenght.

4. bowhunterleroy

Dislikes Received:
    In that case im good in both areas, my arrows are way over 5g-inch and i think im even a bit over spined.

im just scared that an arrow will go through my hand =/

5. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is usually the result of a damaged/cracked arrow. If you have close grouping during practice and hit arrows be sure to check them for cracks before shooting them again.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    also the shorter you go the stiffer the arrow will be. so if you were overspined on the previous length than you are even more overspined now.

7. bowhunterleroy

Dislikes Received:
    the beman chart says im okay right now. the thought of an arrow exploding scares me to no end.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Check your arrows before shooting then...
    If it helps, statistically you're probably at greater risk of driving your car, climbing in or out of a treestand or getting sliced by a broadhead.

9. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow weight "GPI" and arrow spine are 2 totally different things...

10. bowhunterleroy

Dislikes Received:
    agree, i wasnt referencing my alloy arrow wts to my carbon wts thinking they were spine related.

i went from shooting ( by manufacture spec ) perfect spine carbons that were rather light to shooting ( by manufacture spec ) heavy 580g alloy arrows.

i was kinda seeing what my bow and myself liked. the alloy seemed ever so slightly more accurate, but i cant stand how i kept breaking the ( uni-knock bushing bologna )and it drove me crazy

the longer shots ( 30-50 ) with my alloys were different day to day and the carbons were more consistent.

i took great comfort knowing my alloy arrows wouldnt explode in my hand, but i took even more comfort knowing my carbons wouldnt shatter the knocks every 25 shots...

and the price for cheap carbons over cheap alloys, comes out to a whopping $10 over amazon for victory ( trophy hunter ) through sportsman ware house. a set of uni knocks and its components blow that savings in the toilet

11. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carbons are a great way to go. I've been shooting for years and shoot with lots of poeple. Never once have we ever spoken of an arrow just blowing up unless someone was doing something really dumb.

1. Correct spine. Depending on the shaft length, draw weight, and tip weight you will need to calculate the spine you need. What length of arrow are you using? At minimum you will need a .350 spine arrow. If you use a 125 grain you'll need a .300.

2. Damage. Check your arrows for damage. They're very resiliant but if you shoot them into each other you may break the ends of the shaft. Flex the arrows and you'll hear / see a crack. I've been shooting for a few years now and I have yet to find one using the flex method (no small cracks)

3. Weight. This is more for the safety of your bow. 5 grains per pound is the minimum. Below that and you near "dry fire" situation.

Most professionals suggest 6 to 8 grains per pound. I shoot 70 pounds and my arrows are only 368 grains. I haven't hunted with this combo but I'm fully confident in a pass through no problems.

If you're looking for a cost effect, look at the easton bloodlines. They have a good consistency at a great price.

12. bowhunterleroy

Dislikes Received:
    well good, at 455gr arrows and beman stating my spine is correct i think ill just keep my arrows how they are.