What's the better arrow rest?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CThorn, May 13, 2013.

1. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    I'm pretty new to bowhunting. I recently bought a PSE Brute X package. I am looking to upgrade the whisker biscuit rest to a drop away. I'm looking for a solid inexpensive drop away rest.
    I have been looking at the NAP Apache and the QAD Ultra-Rest Hunter.
    What do you think? Any other suggestions to a new bowhunter?
    Thanks!:wave:

2. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First, welcome to the site!!! Now for your question, I know a lot of people on here and off that have the NAP Apache and love it. I was also looking at the QAD Ultra-Rest hunter when I was in the market for a drop away and I was told by my pro shop and other places that it sometimes doesn't drop fast enough to clear the arrow. I would spend the extra money on either the Code Red Ripcord, QAD Ultra-Rest HD, or HDX. These rests I think will last you better in the long run. That being said- if you are set solid on around $70-$80 and below, I think the Apache is your best choice. Good luck and let us know what you get!

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Apache and love it. I use to have a QAD as well. I prefer the Apache...but that is just me.

4. okdeerhunter

okdeerhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your gonna get a qad spend the extra an get a hdx

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

5. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i have the qad hunter. very nice rest.

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The hunter in my opinion is not a good rest. I've seen them break internally many times and if your bow has any speed it will not get out of the way quick enough.

I have an apache carbon and hate it. If I hit the back wall hard on my draw the arrow sometimes pops out of the rest. My friend has the regular apache that is loaded from the top and he hits the bottom of his sight when he loads an arrow.

If I were buying a rest right now, and wanted the cheaper route, I would look at the trophy ridge revolution or the ripcord code red (my personal favorite, I've had one, and have had many friends that have / had one and they were all flawless).

7. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know that the QAD has problems with the PSE DNA, I dont know if its the same with Brute. Something about not being able to be mounted properly, but it can be adjusted. I bought the NAP Apache Carbon and well im about to go try it out!

8. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I use the normal NAP Apache rest because I shoot left handed. I really like it. Never an issue. I am familliar with the QAD hunter and I was noticing on faster bows it was not dropping fast enough. You will be happy with the Apache. Good Luck.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot the original Apache, Apache Micro and Apache Carbon all with great results. Never a single issue with any of them.

In all fairness I've never shot the QAD so I don't really know how they stand up against each other. I like the looks of the QAD, but I prefer the simplicity of the Apache.

10. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your lookin for a good solid rest check out the smackdown pro by trophy taker I have not had any problems I love it good arrow clearance full containment housing felt to quiet it down and the adjustability is great I think there in the hundred dollar range now but mine was around 150 in camo or black check it out. Good luck with that

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You mean to tell me the arrow pops off the launcher, through the slot in the cage and completely out of the rest? Maybe you need to slow down on your draw cycle a little bit there killer.

12. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

13. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the quick responses guys, I'm going to keep looking into it. I'll let you know my final decision

14. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    whisker biscuit

15. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it actually does. it happens sometimes when I hit the back wall, even when I don't draw fast and sometimes I think it can be contributed to nock pinch. Also I changed to the thumb release so that tightens up my nock point a bit. I could fix it. I just like the ripcord much better.

16. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you have nock pinch you need to fix it regardless, it can cause tuning issues....Best way to check is to take the field tip/broadhead off an arrow, nock it and draw it back...If the arrow raises up off the rest you have nock pinch.

17. bjankowski

bjankowski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Spot on! There's NO reason your arrow should be do that.

18. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, if you use your bow for hunting, going to a drop away is not an upgrade from the WB. The WB is the best hunting rest ever made. I have been shooting them for maybe 15 years. I have tried many other rests including 5 dropaways and always go back to the WB for my hunting.

With that said, if I was to get a drop away it would be a Ripcord or NAP Carbon Apache. I have both. The Apache is the quietest I have tried. I have at least 12,000 shots through each with zero issues. The QADs I had (3), were nothing but problems.

19. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, indynotch it definitely sounds like nock pinch and should be fixed. the apaches are great rests and it isnt a design flaw, also to answer the OPs question i would definitely say apache. for the money it is extremely solid and is very easy to tune.

20. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Ripcord Drop Away rest and I always pop it up when I'm in the stand... it has NEVER failed me and I don't think I'll ever shoot any other rest regardless of what bow I own.