What is the story behind the reason you got into archery?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Bow String Depot, May 10, 2013.

1. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is the story behind the reason you got into archery?

Here is my story!
    When I was younger I didn't have a stay at home dad. So I was never introduced to anything. I use to visit my cousins and they introduced me to BB guns and re-curves. I loved it. Life passed by and I never got into either. Marriage came and my 3 kids came. When my boy was 7 or 8 he was always bored. So I told him to pick something to do and we will do it together. Well he picked the most expensive thing archery and I will never regret one minute of it. Now all of us and soon the wife too, shoot target and hunt. We've been blessed to enjoy a family in archery.

Hutch

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I rifle hunted all my life. Decided in my mid 20's to start bowhunting so my season would be longer to coincide with my busier life. Bought my first bow and the rest is history :tu:

3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, the then 11 day long rifle season wasn't cutting it.

4. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well for my birthday that just passed I was initially going to purchase a reloading press and all the extras needed. Due to panic couldnt get all the items I wanted so after 5 weeks of waiting and talking to my uncle to see if was able to get all the stuff it was unsucessful so I gave up and asked him if he could get me a nice compound bow setup for the $$$ I wanted and he set me up with the Parker I have now....

I guess i got into it as a back up plan when initial plans failed but I always wanted to get in anyway so it was a great time to do so

5. chainsaw

chainsaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started archery because my buddies were doing it and it looked fun.I was 12 when I got my first Bear compound bow.couldn`t even pull it back for the first week I had it.I have only killed 1 deer with a bow,not too worried though.I just enjoy the experience of being in the woods.Killing is not required.

6. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always want to hunt since i was younger but i never had anyone take me or get me involved so years passed and junior year in high school my buddy who had been hunting for awhile pulled out his bow to shoot a little bit. He let me try it out and after a couple shots i was hooked.

I ended up getting my first bow for my birthday that year and i havent looked back since. Now im wanting to upgrade that bow probably at the end of this upcoming season.

7. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I Shot a buddies older bear compound and really fell in love with hearing that thwack! Also, after looking into the hunting seasons in Kansas, bow hunters are greatly favored. Mid sept-dec. 31 for archery vs. 10 days post rut rifle hunting. I really enjoy watching the woods change with bow in hand as the calendar turns from September-December.

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a recurve for Christmas when I was 12 after watching an Indian boy kill a javelina with one on a Walt Disney show 45 years ago! I knew that was for me. I killed a couple rabbits with it and got to be a decent shot. My family all hunted with guns so that's the way I went until I was about 22. I got a Bear Whitetail compound (new kind of bow in the late 70's) and started shooting it. No sights and no release. At the time I didn't know they made such things. I gave it up after I had a son and left the working world for college at 25. Skip ahead to 2006 when my son Dubbya (one of the pro staff members here) graduated from college and had gotten into bow hunting. He called me and said he wanted me to get back in to bow hunting so we could do it together. I got back into it and love it more than I did before. Just wish I hadn't given it up for 24 years! :D

9. jpark4

jpark4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunger Games!

The challenge of the hunt, really.

10. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was bored flipping through channels one night about 7 years ago and came across a hunting show. After spending the entire night up watching I decided the next morning to go out and purchase my first bow. I had no idea what I was buying or how to even get started hunting but spent my first season just practicing and reading and watching all I could to learn. I never had anyone to teach me or take me hunting so I learned it all on my own. When I finally took my first deer I had met several friends from another website and they came out and helped me track my deer and showed me how to gut it. They are both great members of this site still!

11. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been into hunting since I was a young child. I remember being real young and my dad bowhunted the property we lived on. I'd wait outside waiting to ask what he got/saw. I couldn't wait to start hunting and tagged along every chance I got. Finally became old enough to take hunters safety, picked up an old Jennings bow at a rummage sale for $20 bucks and was bowhunting. Haven't turned back!

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because rifle hunting got to be too easy... :poke:

13. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    3 years ago my son did some work for a friend that drill wells and offered to either pay him cash or give him an old compound bow and take him hunting. He opted for the bow, started practicing and was all set up to go with our buddy. The buddy always had other things to do, so they never went and my son started to get frustrated. One night my wife and I were talking and she suggested I get a bow and take him hunting. I used to hunt rabbits,squirrels,and pheasant years ago, but got out of it with work and kids(no time) I bought my first bow (Bear Whitetail Master) on the eve of Thanksgiving 2009, spent a few weeks getting setup and sighted in without him knowing and by christmas we were in the woods. I have been addicted ever since and the wife knows she can't say anything about it because it was her idea in the first place. Last year I upgraded to a Mathews Monster and took my first 2 deer with a bow.

14. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A couple friends bow hunted. My Dad got interested and we both bought bows. he dropped it due to his job, I'm a kid (14) and I kept, taught myself, I had killed with a rife. we had 60 acres, I shot three last year. Been doing it four years.

15. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Always liked shooting a bow when I was younger. Got out of it while in college. Then deer hunting was opened up in the surrounding towns due to over population. Got me interested again so I bought another bow and haven't looked back since.

16. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started a new job in 76. A couple of the guys I worked with hunted with bows so I got interested. I've only missed 3 seasons with the bow since then. I quit hunting with a rifle 8 years ago. It's just not as much fun.
    My first bow was a Bear Whitetail. It shot well enough to kill a few deer. I see them for sale on EBay once in a while. I've thought about getting another on and hunt with it again. I never could get the fishtail out of the arrow flight on that bow. It still bothers me. Maybe I know enough to tune one better today.

17. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had my first little longbow about as early as I can remember then a recurve and then my first compound @ like 10-11. Killed my first deer with a bow at 16. I have bow hunted ever since. 33 now

18. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Bear whitetail was a great bow. I had one and also the whitetail 2. Couple of my first hand me down bows there.

19. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started bow hunting 19 years ago. My grandma bought me a Bear kodiak....atleast I think that was it...lol. I did kill one deer with it.

20. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started hunting with my brothers. They hunted Bow season because they could get a couple more months in with archery equipment. I borrowed a bow and hit the woods with them. After rifle season ( deer season was over all together) I found myself out in the yard slinging arrows to pass time. I really enjoyed doing it. The more I did it the better I got. I then joined forums and started realizing there was much more to archery. The following season, I went bow only and haven't looked back. I can pick up a rifle after not shooting one for a year and drill X's at 100yd all day long. I can't do that with a bow so there is the challenge.