Planting in Shaded Areas?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Dalton, May 9, 2013.

1. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad and I are looking to plant a food plot by a stand that we call "The Point". We used to just sit on a rock, but the last few years we have hung a stand in the bottom below next to a small creek. Anyways, the area is pretty well shaded and doesn't get very much daylight. We were wondering if anyone has found a good food plot mix that grows well in mostly shaded areas? Also we are not able to get big equipment into the area, but we can access it with a 4-wheeler and attachments, so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance for the replies!

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    90% of my plots are in areas like you mentioned. Anywhere from 3-8 hours of daylight a piece. I also use no equipment what so ever besides my hands and hand tools.

I have had my best luck with Biologic Hot Spot. Another pretty good one was Antler King No Sweat. I have/had trail cam pics of deer with mouthfuls of the stuff in their mouth, I'll see if I can find any of them after work today.

Like everything, start with soil tests and lime appropriately. Take the time to do your plot prep, plant before a rain and you should be good to go.