Need hunting help for a newbie deer hunter

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by oscar3b, May 7, 2013.

1. oscar3b

oscar3b Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone! I've been hunting for a few years now, though really I should call it nature observing because I haven't killed anything yet. Anyways I really want to fix this, so I thought I would ask for help from people who know what they are doing. First of all I hunt on a 10-acre farm that belongs to my in-laws here in Kentucky. It used to be a cow farm and is now used primarily for hay, so almost all of the property is open field, though it is surrounded by forest.

My first question is about set up. I have seen deer come in and out of the field going to an apple tree that sits out away from the woods. There's really no place for a tree stand there though. Could I hunt from a blind? I've heard people talk about blinds and that deer don't respond well to blinds, so is there anyone here who uses one? What can I do to keep the deer from being skittish around one?

Also, I don't see a whole lot of deer sign as far as a rub or scrape, though I really don't know what to look for. Does anyone have a picture of a buck scrape they could post so I know what to look for? There is a wooded lot in the very back that is covered in acorns. I know deer eat acorns. What else should I look for for food sources? What are primary food sources for deer besides acorns? Thanks everyone for all your help. Like I said, I have lots of newbie questions.

2. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think basically the only way deer will not be concerned about a blind you use is either you have it sitting there in place for awhile or brushing it in really well. But I think you may fall into the category of the leaving it sit so they get acclimated to it. What I would suggest is just doing some sits preseason to pattern where they generally enter and exit the field to browse and eat the apples. Then I would strategically have places on their travel corridors.

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course I'm not seeing the property so I'm just giving a possible suggestion from your description. Hope that may help some. Sorry I don't have any pics of scouting sign on my phone at the moment.

4. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a picture of what a scrape looks like they are usually under a tree with low hanging branches. image.jpg . Iv killed deer out of a blind set out in a water way in the middle of a clover field before. Do some scouting get the deer patterned. Set that sucker up way before the season starts so the deer can get use to it. Sounds like you have so decent food around your area so I wound jus get out an scout an go from there.