G5 T3's?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Trevor2554, May 1, 2013.

1. Trevor2554

Trevor2554 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am still searching for a broadhead for my first season bowhunting. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the G5 T3's?

To be honest I am really hesitant to use mechanical broadheads, because I just dread a failure, but these seem like good heads.

Thanks in advance

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go Muzzy or Slick Tricks and you'll never regret it. There are some good mechs out there too and I know quite a few people who shoot T3s with no issues. But man, those Killzones seem to have stolen the show since they came out.

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have any reservations about mechanical performance of mechs. I suggest just using a solid fixed blade especially to start out with. You'll have many more things to worry about or think about during your first season, why compound that with doubts about a mechanical failure of you BH. IMO stick with a good solid fixed in the beginning.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great Advice!!

5. Trevor2554

Trevor2554 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will the killzone's work with a lower KE setup? I'm only shooting around 60 pounds out of a 2012 mission venture

6. Trevor2554

Trevor2554 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was thinking.

I really like how the VPA 100 grain unvented heads look. Anyone have any experiences with VPA?

7. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The killzone line has a low KE model. On NAP's website they say that the regular killzone is recommended for draw weights of 60lbs or greater. So your setup should be just fine with the regular model. Plus the regular model has a greater cutting diameter than the low KE model.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Killed an Bull Elk a couple years back with the 125's, also killed a few deer and spring black bear. Good solid heads. Really good value too, they retake an edge very easy and are almost impossible to damage with normal use.

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    G5 Montec fixed blades and be done

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Montecs are injection molded.....VPA'a are solid machined. They are roughly the same price but the quality isn't even close.

11. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would stay with NAP whatever you do. You asked about the T3 so why not go for the Spitfire, there are no spider clips or rubber bands to mess with. Or you could shoot a Bloodrunner which is a fixed blade expandable hybrid. If you want a good fixed head shoot the Thunderhead razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy and I have used the G5 T3's for two seasons now. He shoots around 70 lbs. and my bow is set at 62 lbs. Both of us have had pass-thru's on all of the deer from about 15 yards out to the furthest at 26 yards, a total of 6 deer and one turkey. The only deer we didn't find within 100 yards happened to be the buck in my avatar, which happened to be found 4 days later as the shot was back a little bit which was my fault and not the head as I hit the trigger before I had the pin settled. That deer went about 1 1/2 miles from where I hit him.

The T3 heads do need to be set up correctly and tuned so they open correctly. In my opinion you simply cannot screw them on and hunt as they generally are set to be pretty hard to get to open. Once you do that I have no doubt in my mind they will only open on impact and will open. Great heads for a mechanical broadheads and if I can keep my draw weight over 60 lbs. I may keep using them.

13. BOWDADDY64

BOWDADDY64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X2 here. I have used the Montecs since they came out,but switched to T-3's and like them even better. I even tuned down a set for my wives lower poundage and she's super happy with them too.

14. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    NAP Spitfires=)

15. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The T3's work great in my opinion. Fly really well compared to my field points. Any of the above broadheads will also work. I've gone through a couple shoulders with them. One was opposite shoulder and the other was a close shot on front shoulder closest to me.