50 Yard Last light Rabbit

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Camper1, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Current (6/10/12) Melbourne Australia, soon to be
    A couple of hours ago i took this rabbit at 50 yards with an adder point blunt just before last light.

50 yard bunny 1.jpg

Im very pleased with my 2012 APA Mamba M6 these days, ive been shooting at 73# and a 460grain arrow and my accuracy at longer distances has been very consistent.

Even though the arrow weight is up there, ive still got good speed at those longer distances. A few jump the shot but im learning how to anticipate this and accomodate for it more and more.

A few weeks ago i took a rabbit at 63 yards last light and it hit him on the run from his jumping the string. Depending on which way they are facing when i take the shot and or which way they may run, i can sometimes anticipate it and put the pin where they may be. Good fun anyways and a good learning curve with my current setup.

It was a quick afternoon walk for 40 minutes or so and yeilded meat for the table anyways, so im pleased. cheers Doz

2. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shooting!

3. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would you take a 63 yard shot on a deer?

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's cool. Love those long shots.
    I was expecting a video of it though:)

Thanks for the tell.

5. WW1

WW1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do ya beat that!!
    gotta love it!!!!

6. ksredneck

ksredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so let me get this straight you hit a rabbit running from 63yds? If so you are the man

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Read the post again. That isn't really what he said. He is anticipated which direction the rabbit may jump from its sitting position if it were to jump his string when shooting at a greater distance. So he is holding a bit off target to compensate for the jump. No different then leading a moving target yet somewhat easier as the target is stationary to begin with. OP NICE Shot

8. ksredneck

ksredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bad! that hooked on phonics isn't working

9. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I cant give you a straight forward answer to that as it would very much depend on numerous things: 1) I can hit small things very well out to 70 yards and group within a dinner plate at 80 and 90 yards with this setup consistently, so the confidence is there to hit a "still" target, or anticipate a move or the fall before the spring of a deer, however, 63 yards would generally see more than a spring and move on an animal as quick as a deer so the general answer would be 'no', i want the animal dead and quickly, not wounded and looking for it.

2) For a follow up shot, absolutely. By that i mean, if i have shot the animal already and i need to put another shot in, longer distances than 30-40 yards no probs.

3) Depending on the club im a part of which has a code of ethics, or laws in an area i have to follow such so again it would depend. There's also a number of other circumstances that are thought provoking in relation to shooting animals at longer distances, but i'll leave it there for now. The small game i can pretty much hit anywhere and it will kill them quickly, hope that answers your question.

cheers, as Tackle has said its not a running shot, just putting the pin where i see the rabbit being just after the limbs go 'whack' and they jump. Although id like to go Trad one day to learn how to hit on the run.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  10. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lol, ive got a heap more footage of kills and misses, and thar 63 yard shot and kill on the move has been captured on film, but a friend of mine told me that maybe it was time to treasure it up to make a longer flick than 3 minutes or so next time, so i shall see how i go for making a longer vid in future. A buddy was able to capture me shooting this rabbit just not the hit as he was too far back and a tree was in the way. Looking forward to seeing more of your hunts on youtube too mate.

11. MarkV

MarkV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great work Doz, great to see you dispatching a few of those fury ferals and at those distances. Well done mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Cool. That's why I take lots of footage of other animals or creature to add some other interest to my flixs. Love all real footage in the woods.

Impressive shooting mentioned. You still moving to Cali?

13. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It would be awesome practice for us if the rabbit season was open in the spring and summer months around here. But it seems they are a little more weary during the winter months when we can hunt them. Great shot though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yes mate, still in the pipeline, we had some significant setbacks in the work we have here but things are stabilizing again for us to head off. We are also working on pushing for the lengthiest visa's we can get to have time to establish the US side of things, and the legal side of things is still being sorted. in the mean time we are hitting the road again shortly in Aus, plenty to do here all the time, God willing hope to catch up soon in the US

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  15. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool. Nice international group getting together next year in Colorado for OTC Elk hunt. Would be great to see you there.

16. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shootin!

17. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How i wish mate, shall have to wait and see