Epic Carbine HD

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Dalton, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at the Epic Carbine HD for a POV camera to use this fall along with my other adventures. I was curious if anyone has any experience with this particular camera. How is the video/picture and sound quality? I was hoping to get one and take it fishing with me this summer along with hunting this fall. If anyone has some input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Dalton

2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot of the guys on the pro staff here are using them. Hopefully JZ chimes in and helps you out.

I was also looking at a POV camera and i ended up gettting the Kodak Playsport Zx5. Its a little bigger than the epic or go pro, but it is water proof and shock proof. You dont need to buy a extra case or anything like that. Its cheaper too. I got mine for about $85 and it takes HD video too.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Couple quick points to make

- The Epic HD Carbine has a nano coating which makes it extremely water resistant, and almost water proof, without the need for an extra case. BIG bonus for anyone using it for hunting/fishing purposes.
    - The video quality is fantastic. IMO it's some of the better video quality you get from a POV type camera. It shoots in full 1080p HD with great color saturation.
    - Audio quality is pretty bad. Since we're only using ours for 2nd angles we don't rely on the audio from the Epic, so it doesn't matter. If you're looking to use it as your primary camera and be able to record good audio it's not the best. You can get okay results but you have to keep the camera very close to the person who is talking. Within 3-4 feet.

I've said it a few times already but it bears repeating again - POV cameras are great for 2nd angles, mounting them to a vehicle, and getting really cool, artsy shots to support your video. If you're looking for something that does a good job of recording the entire hunt including animals in the field and the shot, they fall short. Anything past 10 or 15 yards is tough to make out, when mounted to a bow they're very shaky during the shot when you release so you usually can't see the impact, and they're not good in low light.

If you're looking for a primary camera to film your hunts and you're on a tight budget I'd pick up something like this http://www.campbellcameras.com/shop...-HF-R400-Full-HD-Camcorder__401canhfr400.aspx with a Pine Ridge Pro Bow Cam arm http://www.campbellcameras.com/shopping/Products/Pro-Bow-Cam-Tree-Arm__603PIN2547.aspx and stick with that over a POV cam.

4. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I already have a primary camera for my hunts. I would be using it only as a POV camera for hunting. I was also wondering how you mounted this camera on your bow? I was looking at the accessories for this camera and didn't see a mount that looked like it would work on a bow. As for the fishing part, I do a lot of trout fishing during the summer and would like to get some video of me fishing. All of my trout fishing is from the bank, so I would like something small like this camera.

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im using the bowfinger 2.0 as a mount on my bow. It works and i havent had any issues with it yet.

6. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually mounting it to the helium is real easy. I have the same bow and camera. If you use the countured adhesive mount you can put it on our riser at the top above your harmonic dampener then use the elbow mount to position it right where you want. It will hold real well and is a great position. I zip tied the countour mount to the rizer just because I didn't want to rely on just the adhesive but you could it holds real well. I don't have my bow with me or I would send you a pic.

7. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's good to know! If you get a chance could you send me a pic of what it looks like? Is there any noise from the mount after the shot?

8. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is up in Wisconsin so I won't be back up that way for a few weeks. I can snap a picture of the contoured adhesive mount on my bow for you but I don't have my camera right now. I won't have that back for a few weeks I don't think.

9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You cant shoot anything with out a bow :busted: You better get ready for the G2G.

10. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Hey smart a55 you know how often I go up to my cottage? I didn't think so! I usually head up a few days a week and I have been shooting probably 100 arrows each day so I am averaging about 350 shots a week right now. That number will go up as the weather improves but still getting in my practice! Just won't be making it up much next week because headed to Wisconsin Dells tonight and alot of stuff going on next week. So :bash:

11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry :dan: Lol It is a little difficult to shoot during this hurricane we have going on here.

Have fun in the Dells though. :tu:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  12. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't gotten outside to shoot at all yet. Just been shooting in my basement. Can get to about 15 yards. So actually don't have my new sight dialed in yet but have it good for that short distance. Can't wait to get outside and start though!

13. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Finally able to snap a few photos for you. I used 2 zip ties just to secure it and not rely just on the adhesive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

14. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sending the pics!

15. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Did you end up getting one?

16. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not yet, but I will be in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to try it out!

17. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    The new one looks awesome. Might have to upgrade!

18. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not yet, but I will in the next couple of weeks! Can't wait to try it out!!