How do you occupy time in the stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Just Passin thru, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On longer sits, how do you guys/gals occupy time in the treestand? I'm not usualy bored around the deer hunting prime times but I have to admit, not seeing a deer all day does get a little tedious and I start to get a little itchy to do something. I usualy load a new game or something on my phone before every time when I plan to stay out for just a bit longer. I know a lot of people who like to bring books. How about you?

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really had to learn to spend time in the stand. When I started deer hunting from a stand 5 years ago it was a beating! An hour seemed like a week and it didn't help knowing I was in an area that had very few deer. As time went on I got a little better and eventually brought a book to read. After sitting 30+ hours I got a glimpse of a doe and fawn...when I looked up from my book. I put the book away and never brought it again. Who knows how many deer I missed. A couple years later I missed a chance at a buck because I was bored and messing with a game on my phone. I forced myself to sit and now I can sit all day. I admit there are days that it gets tough but I work too hard to kill deer and don't want to blow anymore chances because I wasn't paying attention.

3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did phone games for rifle season last year too, til words with friends cleared the area with a video ad when I found out media sound didn't mute with everything else. I'm hoping to at least start attempting to keep an eye on things starting with a bow now and area I can see from where I plan to bowhunt isn't far enough to mess around putting stuff away and drawing. Chances are I'll give in and be back to games or e reading. Amazon and eBay are solid in the stand too.

4. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, this changed my mindset quite a bit. I never really thought about how many deer I may have missed from playing on my phone. Im still young and I sure as heck don't want to miss the buck of a lifetime from doing something like playing a game or reading. This season, I think I'm going to try and train myself like you did. I want to be the best bowhunter I can be and I sure wont be able to do that on my phone.

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Facebook, texting, BH.com...

Its why i only shoot a few does every year.

6. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I may be the worst hunter ever...

I can and have sat from before dawn until well after dark. I read books, sharpen knives, write stories, articles, and essays, tie knots, take naps and play games to see just how much I can mess with the other wildlife.

Growing up, I hunted property with a very low population density. I may sit all season and only see one or two deer, and have to pass on them if they're too young, or do not make antler restrictions.

Bow season here starts around the first of October, and runs through the end of the year. There is usually an extended season for 2-3 weeks after the first of the year for does and spikes.

Now, I don't get to hunt as much, maybe one weekend per month. Where my lease is though, I have a good chance at a pig just as much as a deer. Every once in a while I'll even get a chance at a turkey (I still haven't bagged one with my bow though, beginning to believe it is a Sisyphean task without a blind)

7. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read books on my phone, or check facebook or just mess around on the net, and ive been known to occasionally take a nap during the afternoon lull.

8. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do something really strange.........................................I look for deer!

9. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Usually read everyone elses day successes on the "Live from the stand" thread here on bh.com using Tapatalk!

10. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take random pics, play games, Facebook, and get on the web oh and ocasionally when I haven't seen nothing or to get the itch off me from not seeing anything ill stand up and draw my bow haha

11. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This method seems to work for me as well. If im not seeing deer, its usually turkey or some other kind of wildlife to focus my interest on. I hunt to get away from cellphones, emails, and the hustle and bustle of modern technology. It's me, my bow, and the great outdoors. I bring a phone with me to check the time, and to use if there were ever an emergency, but other than that it stays in my pack or pocket.

12. INBuckChaser

INBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'm the only multi-tasker in the group but I like to bring a pellet gun in the stand and pick off squirrels that come into range. It's quiet enough not to spook anything and it keeps morale high. Then if I don't land a deer I just go around and pick up my tree rats and put the legs in the smoker.

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You version app
    Prayer
    Enjoy the veiw and solitude.
    Not always easy. I get antsy and want to walk around. I usually hunt just the morning and evening though.

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt.

15. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find myself following and participating in the "from the stand" thread, checking Facebook, and texts (when in an area that has cell reception). I'll admit I'm usually doing this a lot more than I probably should while in stand. I do get pretty antsy after a few hours and that's when it kicks in the most. I'm usually cursing the hell outta squirrels (under my breath) aswell for ruffling the leaves and messing with me. Haha. Its amazing how many curse words they inspire.

16. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Blow up the live from the stand thread, curse this forum, mdwhitetail, and others. Take random pictures, play games, read a book. Mostly I just sit there and take in whats around me.

17. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Usually mess around on here, take pics, or play on phone. If I'm sitting in blind I might take a magazine or book but that's not often. Also taken my dog with me when he was younger, like pup age, sitting in blind until he got a little older and wanted to chase everything he saw. But that was only couple times, other than that glass a lot with binos and go through different shot scenarios over and over.

18. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This...Well I was going to say........I hunt.

19. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sooooo, how many deer do you multi-taskers estimate you have missed seeing or spooked with all the movement and lack of attention to what you are really there for?

I know a lot of deer I see, I only see for a couple seconds or only spot because they move while I am looking that direction. Can't see how all those other activities lead to a successfull hunt.

I'll admit I do text once in a while, but not that often.

20. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I read a book. I hold the book at an angle that my head is up and not down.

RC