what size vanes?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grommel, Mar 29, 2013.

1. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys. I have to get an answer please! Do most of you prefer 2" Blazer vanes or longer vanes. Please help, i`m stuck on this and before i buy new arrows, I need help! Thanks GROMMEL. :rock:

2. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I prefer shooting 2" vanes. I like the NAP twisters and quick fletch myself. The quick fletch can be put on in minutes and you dont need a jig. There shrink wraps, you just slide them in place and dip them in boiling water, they shrink right on and are easy to replace when you mess one up. I have shot the blazers in the past, also a good vane!

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I now agree though I find the Quick Spins give me tighter groups with fixed heads which is probably from my inability to get as well tuned as some.

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried about 15 different fletchings in the last 2 years. I don't care for Quickspins (loud and don't hold up well). Never liked the Blazers. I recommend Flex Fletch FFP-360 (3.6") or the Silent Knight 3". They will last long, be quiet in flight and are durable.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  5. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Over the years I've shot feathers, synthetic feathers and vanes of all sorts.

Feathers are forgiving, but act goofy when wet or frosty. Same with synthetics.

I never cared too much for the longer floppy vanes like Duravanes. I went through some others along the way: Fusion, 2" Duravane, Easton, Vanetec. They all did OK, but weren't too durable.

For the last few years, I've been shooting Blazers with good success. Proper installation and good prep work is key to making them work right.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

6. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Short vanes mean less drag and faster arrow speeds but less accuracy. Long vanes means more drag and slower arrow speeds but more accuracy. So if your in a wooded area where most your shots are under 30 yrds I would go with short. If your hunting a field edge and could take shots 30+ yrds then go with the long vanes. I hunt a wooded area and use the short 2 inch vanes myself.

7. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Short Blazers

RC

8. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do run your blazers straight or do you put helical l or r??

I just bought a dozen 340 flatlines fletched with blazers from huntersfriend.com in their custom arrows section....they offered all options but i went with straight.....they look really well done just curious on how you set em up and how they work as this is my first time using blazers and my bow is at the shop getting all pimped out right now so I haven't been able to test em out yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

9. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2" Blazers is all I'll ever fletch my hunting arrows with.

10. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I have used is 2" Blazers and 2"NAP QuickSpin QuickFletch. I just fletched up some 2" NAP QuickSpin Fletchings instead of the QuickFletch. I loved the flight of the QuickSpin QuickSpins but, did not like the durability issues associated nor the price. I can Fletch a dozen for about $15 instead of $50. We will see how well it shoots tomorrow. I expect great results.

I like Blazers and had noting against them at all. May even end up going back with them later. They are great. Last year in 15-20mph gusty weather I was able to put 6 in a 12" circle at 75yd.

11. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This whole post is full of wrong.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

12. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Larger vanes/feathers Stabilize the arrow better and faster than small vanes... fact.

That is why you see guys shooting 5" Feathers on their Indoor target set-ups. But take those 5" feathers outside... while being more scientifically accurate, the elements of the outdoors, i.e. wind. Is going to influence that arrow ALOT more in a bad way than a short vane will.

Too small of a vane won't stabilize the arrow properly, especially true with a broadhead on the end of it.

2" Blazers seem to be the perfect combination... for me.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  13. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Vane stiffness in relation to control and performance also comes into play.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thing to keep in mind with Blazers and other short stiff vanes is the need for a very noticeable helical if you plan on shooting fixed blade broadheads. Not all jigs accomplish this because the vanes are so short. The best i found to use with blazers is AAE mini fletch. If your shooting mech BH an offset is generally just fine but with fixed blades I think it leaves a lot to be desired.

For that mater I think more people would better off with a different style vane then blazers when they shoot fixed blade broadheads... Vanetech or AAE in 3 or 4 inch with a good helical really stabilize a fix blade head and can simplify some tuning issues.
    For example, some people with clearance issues do everything under the sun to fix it except the obvious, switching from high profile blazer style vanes to a longer lower profile vane.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364650160.260121.jpg

15. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever think surface area? Some low profile longer vanes don't have as much as some of the blazer style vanes. Surface area plays a major roll.

16. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have used the blazer vanes, they work really good as long as you put a good helical on them. At the moment I am using the 2" Nap Twister vanes, just the vanes not the quickfletch. They shoot amazing.

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Surface area is only applicable if it can be applied in a manner conducive to your needs.
    For example try applying a helical to, blazers, quick spins, twisters...with that helical clamp on your bitz. Won't get you very far.
    Now use the helical bitz clamp and put a 4 inch Vanetech..... They could have the same surface area all day long but they won't function the because of the application. Tune enough bows with fixed blade broadheads and this is obvious. The only jig that gets a substantial helical on blazer style vanes is the AAE.
    To often in archery we assume because the manufactures push something it is the correct for most applications. Lets name a couple examples, high poundage, unforgiving temperamentally speed bows coupled with low brace hight. ...now that was great for the sport. ...flimsy mech broads so you could shoot the above bows ..I can go and on with examples from the last 23 years.

18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like the 2" blazer vanes. I used the NAP Quikfletch Twisters last year and they worked really well for me.

19. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the longer vanes.

20. benja

benja Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like the 2.88 swift vanes from Vane Tec I like the fact that they have a lower profile. This helps with contact issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2