Purpose of wraps on arrows?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Deanh90, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna start building my own arrows. I was just curious what the real purpose of wraps are? And what is the proper way to build an arrow with wraps? is it just put the wrap on then use a jig to put the vanes or feathers of choice ontop of the wraps? thanks ya'll

2. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use wraps so I don't wreck the shaft when I scrap off old tattered vanes. I just peal off the wraps with vanes attached and redo the whole thing. Beyond that they are easier to find in the field with the white wraps.

3. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    alrighty, thank you sir.

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks. That is the only real purpose.

Some get better adhesion and some claim it is easier to refletch but for me, that is not the case.

The big downfall for me is loss of FOC.

sent from my samsung note 2

5. Jamesinator

Jamesinator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the quikfletch wraps with some success, but the plain wraps don't do much for me. I like the simplicity of the quikfletch though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

6. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the quickfletch twisters for about a month now and just don't like em. they shoot great, they're just not durable.

7. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed

8. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the brightest yellow wraps I could find on mine because I am color blind and need all the help I can get tracking the flight of the arrow and finding it after a shot. It all comes down to personal preference though.

9. Jdicenhour

Jdicenhour Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another benefit to wraps is if you do a helical on your vanes it sticks better especially on smaller diameter arrows

10. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a mainly white painted wrap (check out passthrucustomarrows.com) on my arrows and my main purpose for this is I can get a better look at the type of blood I hit with the a white background. bright red and bubbly is all ive ever seen, but I imagine itd be easier to determine liver or gut shots with a white background too.

11. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm about to build my first set on my own. I am going to order wraps just because of looks. I'm really still on the fence about using them though to be honest. I want a custom look but, not sure if its worth the loss of FOC.

As for you guys who like the flight of the QuickFletch but, have had issues with durability, they make the Twister and QuickSpins in a vane without the wrap. That's what I'm about to give a shot.

12. bowhuntjoe

bowhuntjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the look of wraps but as far as practical purpose goes they are cr>p.

If one vane starts to peel it takes a chunk of wrap with it and you have to re-fletch and most of the time re-wrap the whole arrow instead of just replace the single vane. Just something to think about. :)

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In regards to weight ..a smaller well made wrap weights about 4-6 grains. Not a lot to worry about.

Wraps do look nice however they do provide a couple added befits. First they simplify the adhesion process as you do away with most shaft prep. If the shaft is clean and dry the wrap is fine...not so with all shafts/ fetching and glue combinations.....some shafts are a PIA. Seconds and this varies to a degree depending on what you use and how careful you are..but you can do some damage to carbon shafts when your striping fletching ...and if your not careful to equally strip around the whole shaft you can remove a small amount of carbon is inadvertently.

The FOC issue is an really easy fix for me, almost every shaft I use I light enough that almost always have weight added up front...the 5 grains is easily corrected with weights and inserts or weighted inserts. If the 5 grains or so is an issue ...well then your FOC is way too low to begin with.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used wraps for years and found them to be a much bigger pain to remove than vanes or feathers without wraps.

To be fair, it could be that I went to a sign place and bought several feet off a sheet. Maybe I was getting a better wrap.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  15. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered me a mini fletch jig and some twister vanes. Still on the fence on if I want to use wraps or not though.

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's purely a personal preference. If you like how they look, then go for it.

I always liked the looks, I just got tired of having to strip them off everytime I wanted to refletch and having to compensate for them when trying to build a high FOC arrow.

I may wrap again at some point.

17. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ya'll for your input. After all the great comments think I'm gonna try going without wraps for a while to see how I shoot.

18. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a 24 count sheet of 1" reflective wraps( eBay $3 shipped) that I use between my vanes and nock. They are awesome. They're very reflective and aid in seeing the arrow, especially in low light when searching, and definitely don't mess with the FOC that much. Its just another idea for ya. Here's a pic. You can the reflective strip and how much it shines. uploadfromtaptalk1364498236015.jpg

19. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually REALLY like that idea. Thanks REMYNGTON, think i'm gonna have to be a copy cat on ya for that.

20. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Food for thought. See how the reflective wraps are shining from the flash. They will do the same thing when the sun hits them.

I used reflective wraps for a few years. They are 3x the weight of regular wraps.