Duck Dynasty Standoff

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Iowa Veteran, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So the family that stars in Duck Dynasty, who already profited greatly from the increased sales in their calls due to the show are holding out for a 200% increase in their salaries. Personally, I watched it once and thought it was like every other reality show out there and haven't watched since. It would be funny if the show got cancelled and then they had to watch their wealth walk out the door. JMO

2. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are driving revenue far too much for A&E to drop them because of a salary increase. W/o knowing what they get paid now, I'm sure they will get an increase of some sort, otherwise another network will pick them up. Between their business, sponsors, and simple living they would get along just fine if sh*t hit the fan and they lost the show.

3. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure it's the initial starting point of the negotiation. Bottom line is the network can only pay them a certain amount while still making money on the show. As the show increases in popularity and as a result income, then they deserve to make more money. I see nothing wrong with that.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A) Im sure they were getting paid just as much as every other reality show "family" or group of people, which is pocket change to big name movie and TV stars (Though...luxury to us normal folk).

B) I dont think A&E realized how big of a hit the show would be when the original contracts were signed. Not only is it the #1 A&E show of all time, but its the #1 rated nonfiction show on television. If A&E doesnt pick them up again, somebody else will.

C) The Robertson's already produce there own DVD's, so if A&E doesn't pay them, they could always fall back on that.

D) Like Zdeerslayer said, Duck Dynasty is just self promotion and fun for these guys, they have sold over 5 million duck calls alone, not to mention all the other memorabilia (Buck Commander calls, other calls, clothing, DVD's, ect..)

Whether we think its right or wrong, they want more money and are going to get it.

5. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What he said...

6. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They're only making $10, 000 an episode now. Their wealth came before the show. I don't think it will be leaving anytime soon.

They're asking for $200, 000. This is each. I doubt they get it but they will get a substantial increase or they will be with someone new.

sent from my samsung note 2

7. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those dude are all multi millionaires already so they got nothing to lose, besides they'll get paid what they want, no worries! Happy, Happy, Happy!

8. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that Duck Dynasty is like any other reality show. If you have ever watched their hunting videos (Duck Commanders) they act the same way in those videos. Also I haven't seen many reality shows that incorporate the good Lord into their program like Duck Dynasty does. They also do not swear once in their shows. Try to find that in any reality show out there. Yes they are making a huge profit off this show, but I doubt they care about that they were millionaires before the show anyways

9. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Sources?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

10. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    This is all true.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Google it:D

sent from my samsung note 2

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Duck Dynasty drew around 8 million viewers for this season's debut if I remember correctly.

They will get it. Whether A&E foots the bill or another channel jumps on the opportunity.

As others have pointed out though, They were millionaires far before Duck Dynasty. That came through Duck Commander, its endorsements, its DVDs, its memorbilia, its millions of calls, its speaking at events, etc.... This was another way for them to branch out and promote themselves to even non hunters now.

Willie is a marketing genius in how he turned a small town dime a dozen call company into a hunting industry juggernaut.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say that Duck Dynasty is far from "every other reality show." They talk about god and his importance in their lives. They actually talk way more about it than what we see, but most of it gets edited. They are a cohesive family unit that do not lie, cheat, or steal from each other. They do not "fight" like you see on every other reality show. Sure some of the situations are staged and they give Willie a hard time, but it's different from any other reality show I have seen. I would say this is a wholesome show compared to the rest of Reality tv.

The reason networks have pushed reality tv onto us is the low budget to produce. They don't have to pay their "actors" like movie stars, and their sets are already in place. All they have to do is show up, create some situations, run some film, edit it and sell some commercials. It's a gravy train for the networks.

16. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont see anything wrong with profiting more from their show. The producers are more than likely raknig in tons of dough and they just want a little more of that action.

17. Angelo Fotopoulos

Angelo Fotopoulos Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Robertson's are actually more religious than tv shows them to be the prayer they say at the end was the only aspects of their religious nature that A&E would allow. I love their show and it's quite frankly good family programing!

Rednecks.jpg

18. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely, if you get a chance to listen to a sermon by Willie or Phil, do it.

19. Angelo Fotopoulos

Angelo Fotopoulos Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you're bored and just want to get some responses from folks, I suggest that you educate yourself before you say something you have no knowledge of in the first place. Like G.I. Joe once said "Knowing is Half the battle!"