Brag worthy?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Mar 26, 2013.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So a buddy got to trash talking about how could eat more wings than me, of course I am not going to back down from a challenge.... Off to Quaker Steak and lube to settle this.

He went Beast and ate 40 some wings. I hit the wall at 22. I knew I wouldn't eat more wings than him going into it... I am probably 10 inches taller and 90 pounds lighter than him. But, I thought what ever lets do it.

He then went to bragging for a good 15 minutes, then I said it's my turn to pick a contest.... I was like let's run, jog, kayak something like that. He declined, said who cares who is better at that stuff..... Seriously, he said that... Who cares!

So the question is, is slamming 40 some chicken wings and two or three glasses of pop bragging material???

Where have we gone, that eating more than another person is brag worthy?

I offered to buy him a trophy with a pig on top of it, he declined.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A buckeye, any questions?

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No...being a glutton is not talent...I eat super small portions and can't eat large amounts even of I try. I don't feel inferior in any way.

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Do you really have to ask??!!

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I seem to be able to get fatter than most people on less calories. Go me. :(

On the other hand I can usually go for hours and hours on end without having to pee. Yay for talent!

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He thought it was, I am curious to see if any other here do as well. Different people think different things are cool or enjoyable.

There are eating contests all over the world. A lot of people must think it is cool. I have watched Nathans hotdog contest two or three times, not because I think it is cool... To be honest not sure why I watched it?

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you need another hobby?

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have more hobbies than I do time to do them. How does me needing another hobby relate to this? You lost me a bit there.

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to not put so much food in me and trying not to get too far out of shape. Eating contests are of no interest to me.

For the record...... I have no interest in drinking contests either. I like to get there slowly, not be the guy drooling on the bar at 8:00 PM.

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe the poor fella doesn't have much else to brag about??

11. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing I find amusing about eating contests is that small, thin people often do better than big folks. Well, and the fact that anyone would purposefully eat more than one hotdog is amazing to me.

Okay, I admit too that the eating contest bit in the story The Body was grossly entertaining. Sigh.

12. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like he is a short fat guy. In all seriousness, what else would he ever have to brag about and why on earth would you want to race a short fat guy just so you can say you won? lol

I can visualize the whole thing. You are at a party and you point to the fat guy and tell those around you, " I kicked his *** in the 100 yard dash the other day" and they're thinking, "Wow, Buckeye, that is really impressive...almost as impressive as eating 40 chicken wings."

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like the guy lacks other talent and is trying to improve his self-esteem besting someone at something he is good at. It is a pretty big stretch to be chest pounding for more than 15 seconds about eating wings.

14. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    buckeye, you're right.... some people may think that stuff is cool and worthy of some sort of attention. Usually, there is a point in ones life where they out grow those sort of things. It happened to me when I was raising children. If it wasn't something that I would encourage my kids to do, I didn't pay much attention to it. They lost their value.

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you need a new friend??

16. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No its not brag worthy. I'm not much of a wing guy, but the ones I've had from QS weren't that good. No way in hell I could eat 10, let alone aproach the numbers you guys did.

17. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who does care if you beat a short fat guy in a contest of any kind? Maybe you and .........hmmmm.........yep, just you.

Why do I feel like you might have bragged a little if you had won the eating contest? lol

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He is not a bad guy, we have been friends since around 1990. He is not talentless or anything. He makes a good living is a pretty decent fisherman pretty good shooter - archery and firearms. Can handle his own on a four wheeler and such.

You read me wrong there. I knew we would never race on foot or kayak... It was said in gist to the wing contest IE he knew I could not beat him in it but he challenged me anyhow, just like we both know he would never beat me in something physical. Besides that, even if we did race or something similar (never would) I wouldn't tell other people or go on and on about how awesome it was.

I am getting off topic here.

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We used to go to all you can eat at Quaker every Tuesday night for years and years when we were younger and still go every now and then. I knew (we both knew) I would never eat more wings than him.

The point was he thinks it's awasome to eat 40 wings but has no interest in being in better shape. Not about who won or lost...

Blows off (who cares!) he can't jog a mile but brags up 40 some wings... Perhaps I didnt word the OP correctly, this is mostly what I am trying to get at. Not just, is 40 some wings brag worthy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  20. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't really think you would go around bragging about racing a fat guy. I was just pulling your chain and humoring myself and my warped sense of humor. I know what you meant and that you were being facetious with him to make a point.

Back on topic...no, I don't understand why anyone would consider winning an eating contest as a badge of honor.

I live in the Amarillo Texas area, home of the Big Texan Steakhouse which advertises a free 72oz steak if you can eat it and all the side dishes that come with it within 1hour. I had a friend who was a very big man. Tall, big framed, and considerably overweight. Not quite obese, but close. He bragged how he accomplished this numerous times. He was really proud of it. We buried him when he was in early 60's due to a heart attack. What a shocker.