Egyptian Wheat planting?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Scott/IL, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How wide of a strip do you plant? I was thinking a 10-15' strip should provide the needed cover?

One plot is a triangle a 1/3 of an acre. The other is a rectangle 2/3 of an acre. Should I just enclose both plots? Create a jagged border? I mainly want to just keep the plot seperated from the large fields they border.

I've also read that over seeding creates a shorter, more durable plant, while also being a thicker screen.

2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would think that would be plenty. I've been thinking about planting some of this on my property as well.

3. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I can get my plots ready in time, I plan on getting some in.

Was going to start clearing the ground next Saturday, but we got a foot of snow today lol.

4. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    10 foot would be plenty, main things are to get the weeds killed ahead of time, till it up plant it, pack it, then spread some urea on it. it loves nitrogen, mine is still standing from last year, I wouldn't plant it thick though, I would think that would cause it to be spindly because of it's competition with itself for light,water, and nutrients.

5. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    10 to 15 feet is fine. I would stick with 8 to 10 pounds per acre maximum. Plant around end of May (Illinois), and you should get 12 feet in height. If you use too much, you may be dissapointed in the results. Good luck with it.
    John

6. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't planted any EW yet but plan to try it out this year. I've read a lot of articles on it and you really don't need to plant it any wider than 5 feet if you are just looking to create some cover, screen or funnel. The stuff grows really tall and thick, with it being 5 feet wide it will be thick enough that you can't see to the other side and tall enough you can't see over it.

I think it's probably a better cover and funnel source than it is food source although it would appear that the deer will use it as a late season food source.

Post pics of your planting(s) as I love following along and seeing the progress!

7. Northwoods Whitetails

Dislikes Received:
    I would highly reccomend 8 to 10 feet minimum. I have planted this stuff alot lately, and 10 feet wide seems to be the best.
    I have yet to see deer eat this. Maybe once the snow gets deep, and all other food is gone they may hit the seed heads.
    John

8. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah from my readings I don't think your planting EW with the expectation that deer will eat even though they might, I think your trying to improve your deer habitat to make them feel more secure. The plant is very drought resistant - if you are like me living in the Midwest we got hammered pretty hard last year with the drought so that it something you always have to consider.

9. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Plot Screen by Frigid Forage is an alternative to strictly EW. I have some on order for this season as the guys at www.midwestwhitetail.com (Bill Winke) use it a lot and have had great results with funneling and screening.

10. Northwoods Whitetails

Dislikes Received:
    Frigid Forage screen is also 2 to 3 time as expensive as Egyptian Wheat. It really adds up if your screens are an acre or more.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, sorghum screens just fine too and honestly the hybrid seed can be had for very affordable. I'll be using both Egyptian wheat solo, Sorghum solo and a blend of the two this year to just experiment with them. Also sorghum can be sown with switchgrass with great success in acting like a nurse crop for the switch. Never done it myself but many of my QDM buds and seed guy from MI has with great success.

12. Northwoods Whitetails

Dislikes Received:
    I am interested in trying soughum sudan grass. I have seen where people rave about it. But for this year, my screens will be strictly EW.
    I will have some experiment areas though.

13. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Can someone tell me for certain if EW is or is not invasive?? I have done some research and some suggest that it "might be" invasive? I was under the understanding that it was an annual and that the seeds from the mature plant would not germinate?

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be planting it for the first time this year. I will be planting 10 ft wide in most areas. I am using as a screen to help make the deer feel more secure, and to allow me to get in and out without getting busted. I just picked up my bag the other day. I had to buy a 50lb bag from my local seed company because they had never sold it before and didn't want to take the risk of having it on hand, and not selling the rest. It was a little more expensive than what they had quoted me. Original price was about $80 for a 50lb bag, but when I picked it up, it was $97.00 I didn't complain, I don't mind doing local business when I can, and I didn't have to pay shipping so I can't complain too much. No way I will use anywhere close to the 50lbs, so I will store the rest and plant in the future, or if someone needs some seed, I'd be willing to sell it and ship it. If anyone is interested, let me know.

15. Northwoods Whitetails

Dislikes Received:
    Egyptian Wheat is noninvasive and an annual similar to corn. This stufff makes a great instant bedding area as well as screeens, funnels, and travel corridors.

16. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use sudan grass, problem was first snow, usually around second week of gun season and it would be flat as a pancake. and road hunters could see right in. Went to EW which stands up through snow, no more road hunters shootin into my plots!

17. Northwoods Whitetails

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the tip

18. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    Your welcome!