Turkey hunting tips

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Deanh90, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not only will this be my first year bow hunting but I am also going to attempt to do this spring turkey season with my bow. I was curious if any of y'all have any tips for me to hopefully harvest a gobbler with my stick and string? Thanks yall

2. Mr.CluckCluck

Mr.CluckCluck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure theres people on here who have some good tips. This will be my first year and it may sound stupid but I ordered a turkey hunting book off amazon and It was actually really helpful. Good luck this season!

3. mpp0010

mpp0010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, this is the easiest way to kill a turkey with a bow (but dont thank this means it is "easy"). Figure out where your birds roost (turkeys sleep in trees, usually the same trees within a small region), once you know that figure out which way they go in the mornings once they fly down. These first two steps can be accomplished by simply going out for 2 or 3 mornings and afternoons of just listening (DO NOT CALL WHILE YOU DO THIS). Then once you think you know where the birds are going in the mornings, throw up a tent in that area before daybreak. Nock an arrow, sit back, and make some light yelps once those birds hit the ground.

Thats what I would do if you have never turkey hunted.

4. mpp0010

mpp0010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    think***

5. DevilDog

DevilDog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, I'm in the same situation! First year hunting period and am going after a longbeard with my bow starting on the 1st! I don't have enough money to afford a nice blind, so I'm debating whether to "run and gun" or make a natural blind.

6. ikesoutdoors

ikesoutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt turkeys a little different than most people. Here is a video I made with a few tips. Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. wetley49

wetley49 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I made a blind with some palm fronds and palmetto leaves. I had 2 jakes and a hen 5-10 yards in front of me this morning and was able to come to full draw without being seen. I'd find some thick brush and make your own.