Gun cleaning

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by ATbuckhunter, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How often do you guys clean your guns? I just cleaned my shotgun in preparation of turkey season and got to thinking how often should I clean mine. Currently I only clean once before and once after each season.

2. Mr.CluckCluck

Mr.CluckCluck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to clean mine every time after i go shoot but I shoot alot of skeet so I go through alot of shells. Cleaning your gun is a good habit to have.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually clean mine after everytime I go out shooting. During the fall its after the last day of each gun season, prolly a little more then needed or than other guys but I'd say its some left over habits from military. They dont get clean enough to get white gloved, jus a good once over. For the most part though they dont get put away for any length of time without getting cleaned.

4. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit, I kinda slack when it comes to cleaning my guns. However I am planning on buying a Otis cleaning system, looks like a huge improvement to the old push rod style.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    After shooting everytime.

6. Rob W

Rob W Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey how's everyone today,I can't stress enough about keeping firearms clean,But I dont see a reason to clean it twice? I would recommend cleaning it once,and that is after shooting it. Run solvent patch,dry patch until clean. Then a patch with a light coat of gun oil down the barrel before storing. And always wipe down your gun from your finger prints and or other debris with a lightly coating of gun oil. You might wan't to run a swab through before you shoot again "to remove any residue of oil", again with "all due respect" I cant see any reason for you to clean it twice.
    HappyHuntin
    Rob

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill clean my 870 once in a while. A lot less than I should. My Super Vinci gets cleaned after every time I do a decent amount of shooting with it, or after being out hunting in wet conditions. Rifles get treated the same as the Super Vinci.

8. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I clean the gun before the season I intend to use it in because I like to do a final sight in a week before the season. I only clean it afterward if i shot it after the first cleaning. If i don't shoot the gun i will wipe the receiver down and lubricate it up for storage. I spent a lot of money on a great guns and I would like to keep them the best possible condition. I used to only clean it once a year up until this year.

9. wcm250f

wcm250f Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Clean pistols and shotguns after each time I go shooting every time. .22 rifle I let it slide some times because with a bolt action I an the one moving the parts, not inertia or gas operated, plus I have found that after about 100 yards accuracy starts getting off a little but with it dirty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    If I shoot a ton of rounds through my shotgun at once, I'll clean it but other than that I clean it once or twice throughout the bird season and if it gets wet. I shoot a lot of shells through my SBE II and while I like a clean gun, not cleaning it after a day of bird hunting will have zero negative effect.

Rifles I will clean after box of shells or so... my 10/22 rarely gets cleaned.

11. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly after i shoot.
    I will miss cleaning one sometimes then I remember Drill Sergeant Houston and get scared.
    Man that was 40 years ago and he still haunts me.

RC

12. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot guns much.... but I usually clean them all when they make their annual trip to the range to have the zero checked.... and then I clean them again. I use 150 grains of pellets in my muzzleloader which fouls it pretty quick.... I quick clean it every 3 or 4 shots and again when I'm done. I never cleaned them a lot but keep them oiled to prevent any rusting etc.