Elk Backpacking Clothing

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by scarps23, Mar 15, 2013.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been reading a lot about clothing to take on backpacking trip. Never camped for an entire week on a mountain away from a car. I've done some fly fishing trips, but not backpacking while hunting.

Seems sitka, kifura, and first lite are some of the better brands that are coming up. I'm come to the conclusion that I need to look at getting merino wool of some sort.

Any suggestions on other gear that doesn't break my bank besides sitka, etc? I currently have some nice polartec heavyweight base layers. I think they will be too hot and from other peoples suggestions I've read you don't want to use these types of material.

I like merino wool for scent control. They claim it controls scent better. Also for warmth when wet. Wanting to get something that is quick drying if wet. Lightweight is also important. I'm basically describing the clothing of the brands above, but want a different alternative for price. Probably not out there, but thought I would give it a shot. I might just be getting sold on the idea too?

I'm going to be throwing Elk posts up very often with questions and to merely just talk about it with others that are planning elk hunt or have done in the past. I might have a problem as it seems to be consuming my mind at all times. I have a feeling I'm going to have a real problem once I experience an elk hunt.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look into KUIU.com cloths as well.

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I researched it and bit the bullet and bought a Kuiu layering system. Better than Sitka IMO and slightly cheaper. Both will set you back a lot, but will cover temperatures ranging from 100 down to below freezing...

4. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Sitka, but I'm a big fan of Kuiu too.

Depending on how low your budget is, Core4Element is another option. I think they are best for the money. If you go with them shoot Kendal at Camofire.com an email, and he'll hook you up.

5. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen camfire having the core element on a lot lately. I did notice kuiu also. Saw a newer line out in krptek I think is the name. Anyone seen this line? Any thoughts? I don't have a place to go look at some of this gear besides cabelas.

6. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up finding some deals on russell outdoors from cabelas that were 70% off. Only problem was I bought them a little too big on the base layer shirts. I'm working on shrinking them. Cabelas may still have some of the items up under lightweight hunting clothing. The material is made of the same as some of the other higher priced brands. I did end up getting some sitka 90% pants from camofire. They are really nice material. I'm just getting used to the tighter fit. I guess that means I really need to start working out and eating right.

Camofire is killing me now that I put their app on my phone. I seem to want to buy everything from them. I picked up some more Lorpen socks from them. Bought 6 originally and ordered another 4 pairs. They are really nice merino wool blend. $8.99/pair. Absolutely love and hate camofire. Hate them for marketing to me so well. Hard time passing up good deals.

7. Jeepsta

Jeepsta Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a bunch of core 4 gear last year for my elk hunt and I loved them. I have used the element series a bunch this year from coyotes to deer and turkey this spring. Again hit up Kendal and he will hook you up. Look at www.blackovis.com to see what they sell. I really like my stuff.

8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amazing base layers right there.

Sent from iPhone

10. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Hadn't seen that one. I do like the concept of the merino wool. Never used besides the socks, but it sounds like the way to go if you are backpacking.

11. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Never seen blackovis either. The core 4 gear is what I thought I was going to get, but the price of the russell outdoors stuff seemed too cheap to pass up.