Ruger mk3 or browning buck mark

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by ISiman/OH, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to pick up something to carry for plinking and the occasional squirrel or groundhog. Those with experience with them in 22 lr voice your opinions. I'm looking more towards the Ruger.

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ruger!! Without a doubt IMO I own several ruger 22's from pre mk1 to the mk3 and absolutely love them. Probably the most fun shooting guns I own, and I shoot them alot cause they are cheap to shoot. Even my 7 yo daughter gets excited when she sees the Rugers comin out of the safe. Good guns period

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A shop local to me has a Henry Golden boy 22mag in stock. Its used with some nicks and stuff. I think hey are asking like $250ish.

Rattlesnake hill sporting goods. If you are still looking for one and dont mind some bumps give them a call.

4. ISiman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Damn I might have to give this a look, doubt it will be in stock till the weekend though.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have three Buckmarks here. One slab sided and two Buckmark Camper models. They are all tack drivers. I didn't like the trigger on the Ruger near as much. In fact what is it with Ruger triggers??? Or S&W triggers for that matter. Sheesh.

If you can, try to at least dry fire both. Feel the triggers. The buckmarks have light, crisp triggers. At least in my experience. I don't much care for the slides on either the ruger or the buckmark... but that's a pretty trivial matter.

We have a Henry .22, -just the standard model. Cost about 300.00 with tax and all. Beautiful little gun. We use it to shoot sparrows. It's easy to feed birdshot through it, which is darn near impossible in most other .22s. It will also feed .22 shorts. The sights that come with it aren't the best... but they'll do.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I paid 329.00 for this Buckmark. NIB with 3 mags, truglo sights.. Paid 285.00 for a stainless steel version. Of course that was last year. :)

[​IMG]

7. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Ruger MarkII that has had over 22,000 rounds through it. It still shoots like a dream. The only failure to date was when one of the plastic scales (grips) cracked and fell off. A new Volquartsen grip slid right in place and it's back to plinking.
    Ruger loves a heavy trigger, they historically have always been too heavy for my liking, it was an inexpensive job to have my gunsmith make it really slick, and very crisp.

I like the Buckmark as well, and I may well wind up owning one some day. I have shot some of my buddies, and they are sweet.

I really want a Single Six to plink with, they are a bunch of fun to shoot too, and super simple to teach folks with.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

8. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buckmark and it was a good gun.

9. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Buckmark that is probably close to 30 years old. I bought it new way back when and I will never sell that gun. One of my favorite pistols to shoot and accurate too. It likes most all LR ammo the same.

10. ISiman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm so we have some split opinions, anybody know how the prices compare?

11. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg

I just bought a Mark 3 22/45 target model 2 weeks ago and topped it with a Simmons prohunter 4x. I put a Volquartsen trigger in Monday. Absolute tack driver.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  12. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All the guys on my site love their Rugers, and so do I. I prefer the SA revolvers for woods bumming, but the semi autos are nice too.

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whats up with the Henry? You call them?

14. wcm250f

wcm250f Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buckmark wins my vote. Very accurate gun, cycles everything I have thrown at it. Only complaint is the sights. I painted the front sight because in low light or if you cover a black/dark target you can lose the sight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

15. ISiman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't had a chance, I wouldn't be able to get up there for a couple days.

16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a few MKII variants this past weekend, and they were FUN, and definitely accurate. I will say there are a few .22's out there that I like the fit and style of better, but the Rugers were solid shooting guns. Never shot a Buckmark, however.