Which of these ATV discs do you think will be harder on the machine?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by BJE80, Mar 4, 2013.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it makes a difference I have a Kawasaki Mule UTV.

The ground hog Max vs. pull behind?

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

I see the pull behind being harder on the tranny and and the Groundhog being harder on the frame. They are no tractor but they both should work to some degree.

Anyone hear of people damaging their machines with either of these? My UTV is liquid cooled. Thoughts?

2. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have not had a lot of luck using a ATV, I think a small tractor may be the way to go.

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was forced to buy one or the other, it'd be the ground max

4. BuckBro

BuckBro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the groundhog max will proably give you better pentration of unbroken dirt, but man it can be hard on the frame. i have a cheap UTV that i used with the groundhog max last year, and it bent the rearend pretty good. had to have a buddy straighten it and weld in some new supports. if you have a solid hitch mount, and i mean solid, the groundhog will tear the place up.

5. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Mossy Oak Tufline disc that I have used for 8 years or more. I started pulling it with a Polaris 700 EFI and now pull it with a Polaris 850XP. Neither have any problems and the disc works great. The disc is nearly 500 LBS so the weight is the reason it does such a good job. I like the pull behinds simply because they cover much more ground. I have never heard of anyone having problems with an atv after using a heavy disc but then the people I know who pull a disc all have monster power when it comes to their ATVs.

6. Swampman242

Swampman242 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That ground hog max makes me nervous. ATV/UTV frames aren't overly built for something like that. Plus, it looks likes it doesn't cover a whole lot of ground!

If your soil is rocky, there is no way that I would go with that ground hog max. I think I would go with the pull behind either way, just to protect my bigger investment, the ATV.

7. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would go with the pull behind and add weight for better penetration.

8. Travis R Marine

Travis R Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, i bought a groundhog max this year. I have it all put together and ready to go. I have watched all the videos and read tons of reviews and i only see two problems. One, people are f'ing morons and in several of the videos i watched on youtube. They are using the groundhog max backwards on the machine and then saying it does okay ! Well dip****, read the directions and you will fine it probabaly works alot better the proper way. Second issue i have is people try to get to much done too fast. If your disking up never before broken ground, or rocky ground types like i will be, we have land in shawano county wisconsin, tigerton to be exact. Dont go out and try to dig down seven inches the first try, obviously thats gonna strain your machine. Only to the top inch or so. Get that all worked up good and then lower the groundhog some more. Alittle at a time will go along way, all your doing is riding around ! I am installing five plots this year, each one between 1/4 and a 1/2 acre. I will dedicate and entire weekend, friday through sunday afternoon just to get the disking done properly. It will take a while but remember you get what you put into it !!!!!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

9. Travis R Marine

Travis R Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im not saying anybody here is using it wrong or anything, just giving my two scents on what i see so he can take that into account. I think the groundhog and a pull behind are prob neck and neck. For myself i am not spending thousands on a pull behind when i can do the same thing with the groundhog which is $400. Maybe it takes longer maybe it doesnt. Bottom line is i will put in the extra time because thats easier to get than the extra cash to get a monter pull behind, and you have to have a trailer for a pull behind and you cant do the same spots with the pull behind you can with the max.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

10. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bought my Tufline for $300 off Craigslist. Hardly used bout 7 years ago. They are over a $1000 for the one
    I have now.