Hunting With No Blind

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Bountyhunter, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you hunt turkeys with no blind? I am undecided as to whether I'll get one or not. I do not have my own land and would have to pack it in, set it up, hunt, and then tear it down and pack it out each day. Seems like more bother than it's worth. Same reason I do not use stands for deer. All ground hunting. I've seen turkeys and could have shot them during deer season with no blind, but I've never gone out in the spring before. I'm going go out with or without one, but thought maybe some of you don't use blinds and have other options I could look into.

2. CajunTieDowns

CajunTieDowns Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have done both, they do make a small turkey blind that is only about 2 feet high and sticks in the ground. Really light and easy to put up. My buddy has one, not sure the name brand though. Another option is to find a down tree and just set up in the branches, this has always worked best for us, we hunt public land also.

Brandon T.
    www.cajuntiedowns.com

3. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's kind of the plan right now. Seems it's going to be our best option.

4. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going out my first time this year with a blind and bow. I need the blind, I'm too fidgety of a person and will undoubtedly get busted without it :)

5. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I havent hunted turkey ever, and this spring is my first season. I bought a blind and all I have access to is public land as well but, it only takes 5 min, max to set up and 7 to tear down. I also bought this little backpack that has an open top and front so it can carry my blind, 2 fold up chairs, 2 decoys, bow and ect. but as iv herd those turkey have great eye sight and the only thing im worried about is drawing back. but i have herd of people only bow hunting turkeys w/ no blind because they like the challenge. Good luck man

6. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cedars and spruce trees can be your friend! You can see through them to scan field edges and what not. You can cut shooting holes out too. Tuck in, cut out a hole and get ready.

7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I dont.

But i use a shotgun.

Quick popup blinds are the ticket for bowhunting. Gotta be mobile.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

8. chester33

chester33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If im using my bow I will take my blind. I won't if I'm using my shotgun.

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken 2 turkey with my bow while out of the blind. It's much harder though. All the above are good suggestions, I'd add the idea of a small stake blind. The kind that's just a 3 ft piece of 3d camo bout 6 ft long with a few short stakes through it. Super portable quick set up and easy to roll up and carry or stash on your pack. Provides that ill bit of needed concealment when nothin else is available.

10. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Turkey hunting with a bow, and without a blind, is very tough. I commend anyone out there that does it. I'm a blind guy, and 99.9% of the time, I'm putting it up right before I hunt. It does suck hauling everything in, but that's how I role and it definitely works for me. I recommend a pack to carry the blind and all your other goodies, and that makes it alot easier. Check out the last two seasons of Spring turkey hunts on BHOD, and you'll see all the set-ups that took place. Good luck this Spring!

11. Bountyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to look into either buying or making a small stake blind as was mentioned. I think it might be my best bet. I carry a bag with all kinds of goodies whenever I go into the woods, so adding a full size blind might suck. I also want to be as portable as possible.

12. hcfirefighter09

hcfirefighter09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got a pop up blind cause I hunt alot on the WMA land. Cant cut trees on there so I got a Double Bull Blind. I can use it during deer and turkey season.

13. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use a blind when bowhunting but open air for shotgun

14. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if they still make it or not but Gorilla makes a nice stake blind that has an adjustable height. You can adjust the height from 22"-42" its a pretty nice, easily portable and usable blind. I found the one I have on eBay last September. I got it for $25 very lightly used still in original box. If Gorilla still makes them I'm sure they can't be more than $40 new.

Not sure how to copy and paste a link on my phone or if I even can. Otherwise I would give a link to it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  15. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here.

I get busted every time I try to draw my bow on a turkey without a blind.

I suppose you could hunt out of a tree stand if you can get up nice and high for a commanding view that might be out of their peripheral view.

I don't have any trees that are tall and straight down here, mostly scrub. If I want to hunt a tree, it is best to use a ladder stand or tripod.

The Double Bull bag has decent shoulder straps, and I can set it up in a little over a minute, so it's not too bad to take into the field.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

16. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When i hunt Turkey's I try to move in at about 200 yards or closer before I even consider sitting down or what have you. I always have success with this method. However, I've never once hunted out of a blind, with the exception of waterfowl. I think it duffers the call's quality being inside. I'm heading to KS in a couple of weeks to try and shoot my 1st bow turkey. if you set up behind cover you should still be able to hold off on pulling back until your target is in range.

17. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I have great sucess hunting Turkeys with a Bow and no blind. I think I have killed 9 now with no blind. They were all consecative until last year as I didnt tag a bird. Last season was just plain terrable on the numbers around here were down and some of my Hot spots didnt even have birds. About half my kills were out of pre constructed brush blinds and the other half were on the fly. I use a camp stool, pack a saw and prunners. I also carry a small curtain blind that I rarely use. If im on the fly if im not satisfied with the cover Ill prune small branches and stick in the ground in front of me leaving enough room for me to draw and shoot. I like to get about 10 yards back into the wood line in a shadowed area and a good back drop when field hunting. I use a doctored up B mobile with real wings attached, real feathers and a Jake tail fan that moves up and down with a pull string. Scouting is the real key here as being where the birds like to be really ups your percentage. You have to really pay attention when to draw, go for it if there head is behind the deak tail fan, there pummeling the deak and distracted and such. When I pre construct a blind I try to utilize some kind of obstacle in place, natural or I put it there for a barrier so I can draw if there hidden behind it. (Cedar tree or such) I have a goal this season to get this on film for BHOD and you can see how I do it, as this is brought up alot on the forums. It can be done but I recomend a pop blind especially if ypour new to Turkey hunting, get some experience shooting them with a Bow then maby try with out one. Its very thrilling when you get it done in this manner. If you use a pop up make sure you wear black to blend with the inside. As dean mentioned, check out some of his hunts on BHOD as there just plum awesome. No shame what so ever in using a blind. I hope every one has a succesful and fun season. Be sure to get signed up for the contest in the Turkey forum

18. wetley49

wetley49 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be making brush blinds using bamboo chutes, black zip ties, and palmetto fronds. I'll post picks in a little bit when they're in place.

19. OhioG8or

OhioG8or Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone ever seen the blind that attaches to the front of your bow? It screws right in to you stabilizer threading. I thought about this because it can really hide the motion of you drawing your bow...