Advice for a beginner!!!!!

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by leonidas, Mar 2, 2013.

1. leonidas

leonidas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so as you may know from my first post in the "introductions" i am looking to get into archery and perhaps even bowhunting. I purchased my first bow and it arrives this next week. Following your guys advice i went to my local shops looking for info and told them that i was a new shooter and that i wanted to get setup to start shooting my bow. Well unfortunately it seems like the only two shops in my area are not very friendly to beginners. The first shop seemed very nice but were not very helpful since they were too busy teaching classes for other shooters and didnt seem to like walk ins without calling ahead. They made me feel like i was bothering them and i left pretty dissapointed. The second shop is a Gun/Archery store and were not very eager to answer my questions either. I was trying to ask them about arrows and targets and they just brushed me off by telling me that i needed to bring in my bow so that they could take measurements for arrows. And then turned to the next customer. So, it looks like i may need to get my information elsewhere. This forum seems like a great place for that.

I am planning on setting up a target in my garage so that i can open the garage door and shoot from outside. I have seen different targets but im not sure which ones are adequate enough for stopping the arrows from my bow. Its a PSE Stinger 3g which has a pull weight of 50 to 70 lbs. Also, are there any arrows that i can just purchase without having to customize??? Should i get carbon arrows or aluminium??? I apologize if these are stupid questions but it seems like this archery thing is a bit more complicated than i thought. But im a quick learner, i just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    did you get the right draw length on your bow? You may want to set your bow for 50 lbs and start there tell you get the feel of the bow and then up your poundage. Most your shops will cut your arrows to the length you need. Sorry in your area the bow shops were not helpful.

3. nwflycaster

nwflycaster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My advice would be to call the first bow shop in advance and set up a series of lessons. You should start off your archery shooting learning proper form before you pick up some bad habits that may be harder to get rid of and slow down your progress.

If indeed the archery shop was teaching a class when you arrived, their first priority is to teach the students that paid for that service. I'm sure that If you were to pay for a class you would want the instructors attention rather than having him walk off to possibly make a sale during the time you paid for. Give them another oppertunity to see what they are like. Learning the proper fundamentals is very important, without them you will never reach your potential.

Did you work with anyone before you ordered your bow to make sure you ordered one with the right draw length?

Before your lessons, start go in there and let them measure your length and outfit you with arrows. Start setting up a relationship with them the more you deal with them the more they will go out of their way to help you.

4. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also new to bowhunting and I've asked one of the older guys at work who happens to be a hardcore bowhunter for advice. I've been using his advice to zero my bow this weekend. I personally use Cabela's Carbon Hunter arrows, which came at a length of 32 1/2". Following advice from the forums, I didn't cut my arrows. As for the target, I got a block from a buddy, which does good at stopping the arrows that hit it. I have a couple bails of hay and some tires as my backstop. I believe that if you go into the Target Archery section, under my post Losing Arrows, I have pictures from the set-up of my range this weekend. Hopefully it's as fun and as addicting for you as it has been for me. I can't wait to draw a tag this year

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry your local bow shops are the greatest. The local one here is ok...the best one is about 25 miles away. On your PSE you can adjust your draw length on the cam. On your bow 1 turn equals 2 pounds. Make sure each limb is the same amount of turns out. If you stick your arms left to right <----i----> Have some measure you from the tip of each middle finger and divide by 2.5 That will give you your correct draw length...it's a great place to start. My draw length is 28.5 and my arrows are 28.5 as well. I shoot 65lbs. on my Brute X. Have you got your rest centered yet? Use the tuning mark on your riser to do that...it will help you.

There are a LOT of good people on this forum that will be more than happy to help...best forum I have been on.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  6. leonidas

leonidas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for the great info. I will give the first shop another try and i will definitely try signing up for some classes. My pull length is 29.5 and my bow adjusts from 25 to 31.5 so i should be fine there. Once my bow arrives this coming week, i will make the appointment so they can set me up right. Im just getting a little anxious and cant wait to start sending some arrows downrange with my new bow. :cool:

7. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck. I hope all goes well

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I replied to your other post but best of luck. Hope you have a better experience this time!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

9. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    try another pro-shop. I travel 35 miles to mine even though there is a shop just 7 miles away. It all comes down to customer service. If you don't feel treated right try another place. You have to be fitted for everything, draw length, peep sight, arrow lengths, poundage drawn etc. let us know how it goes. good luck.

10. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps there may be an archery or bowhunting club near you. Try looking it up. The one I belong to is awesome. We have a bunch of old guys who can't even shoot anymore out there making fun of us younger guys. But if you ask a question about anything to do with archery and they'll explain it, tell you why you're doing it wrong and how to fix it. It's an absolute blast.

After rereading it they sound mean, but it's really all in fun. They only pick on those of us who'll pick back at them.

11. leonidas

leonidas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I received my new bow today (PSE Stinger 3g). Right away, i noticed that there was no way i could draw the weight it was set from the factory :lol:. I followed the users manual and adjusted the draw weight down to where i can pull it relatively comfortable. The bow maxes out at 70lbs but the manual says it comes set at 68lbs from the factory. I backed it out 4 turns from totally bottom out. The manual says that the limit is 10 turns. The draw length is pretty much spot on for me the way it came set to 29". I calculated my draw length by dividing my wingspan by 2.5 and it came to 28.9 and after drawing the bow a couple of times it seems to be where it needs to be. And no, i did not dry fire the bow. I knocked an arrow and drew the bow, then very carefully let bow go forward without shooting the arrow and making sure not to torque anything. This is my first bow and while i don't have anything to compare it to, i have to say i'm impressed with the quality. The finish is very nice with no visible flaws whatsoever and it just feels like a solid piece of equipment. I will most likely sign myself up for some professional instruction on how to shoot, but i don't know if i will be able to help myself from shooting a few in the back yard tomorrow.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  12. leonidas

leonidas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I finally received the field points and target today so,..... I couldn't help myself and shot about 20 arrows to try out my new bow. WOW i was extremely surprised with the accuracy. Granted, it was only at 10 yards but i was getting pretty good groups for being the first time ever shooting a compound bow. I did need to adjust the windage slightly but the elevation was spot on. I couldnt believe how easy it was to shoot accurately. Im in love and i cant wait to go to the range and get some professional instruction and shoot at longer distances. I can already smell the bacon :lol:. I live in Florida so once i practice enough where i am confident i can put a good shot on an animal i will be going hog hunting. Here are some photos of some groups i got after making the sight adjustment:

3 Shot group:

[​IMG]

Another look:

[​IMG]

Heart shot: :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice welcome to the addiction....one thing though shooting those tight groups....do your self a favor and flex check your arrows frequently....a cracked carbon arrow will ruin your day quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice! Be careful shooting groups at that distance. You're likely to ruin more arrows/components at that distance. On a spot bag like that, just spread your 20 and 30yd shots out. Perhaps go back to group shooting if you want at 40+.

Welcome, btw!

15. Bigdan1970

Bigdan1970 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good...now get back to 20 and 30 yards and practice from there, that is where you'll take most of your "hunting" shots from. Not many deer come in as close as 10 yards. :)

Anyway...looks like you are doing well. just keep practicing and backing up.

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats onthe new rig! Looks like you're getting it dialed in :tu:

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    How do you flex check an arrow?

18. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just grab each end and give it a slight bend back and forth.....if it makes noise like fibers rubbing or cracking DO NOT shoot it.....its junk and could explode

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

19. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I'll have to do that this weekend. How much do you have to shoot them before they start to develop cracks?

20. leonidas

leonidas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I will not shoot for groups from close distances from now on. Today i got my first bruise on my forearm. Does that mean bad form??? I think i may have pulled that shot when it happened. Does this happen to you guys often??? should i purchase a forearm guard??? I mean it stung a bit but nothing to cry about. just trying to figure out why it happened. I know i should probably get professional instruction but i cant help myself every time i touch the bow i must shoot it.:lol: