Who's ready?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by wetley49, Feb 28, 2013.

1. wetley49

wetley49 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting pumped up. I got my new bow last week and will be finished setting it up this weekend. I've polished up my calling and hope to bring an osceola close enough to get him with a bow. The season opens here in Fla in a little more than 2 weeks and I can't wait. Turkey hunting is my favorite type of hunting and it'll be taken up to a whole new level this year with a bow. My only problem is deciding on a broadhead but I'll read previous posts on here and make a decision this weekend. Anybody else getting pumped up?

2. hcfirefighter09

hcfirefighter09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im starting to get pumped up, only a few weeks left here in GA. Im going to be shooting Muzzy MX-3 broadheads. I really dont care about the head shot that some people go for.

3. Mr.CluckCluck

Mr.CluckCluck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first season hunting turkey and I can't wait! My blind is in the mail and i just bought the rage slip cam broadheads :o

4. hcfirefighter09

hcfirefighter09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious what kind of blind your ordered? Which Rage broadheads did you go with?

5. Mr.CluckCluck

Mr.CluckCluck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i ordered the guide gear pop up blind it had really good reviews and its nice and light on the wallet! The broadheads I got are rage slip cams a 2 bladed mechanical broadhead.

6. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year hunting turkeys with a bow. Our season doesn't open until May, so I have a while yet. I am pumped and hope I am ready when it opens. I'm working on it.

7. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't wait. Picked up a new Ameristep Brickhouse blind and the primos A Frame Diamond Cut mouth call. It is one of the smoothest calls out there.

8. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More than pumped! Haven't taken a strutter on the ranch for 3 years. We've got 12 long beards identified, a bunch of jakes, and close to 50 hens last time I did census. 80 acres of wheat with a new avian x hen decoy and my barronett grounder 350 blind, a turkey is bound to catch a killzone from me this April!!!

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More than pumped! Haven't taken a strutter on the ranch for 3 years. We've got 12 long beards identified, a bunch of jakes, and close to 50 hens last time I did census. 80 acres of wheat with a new avian x hen decoy and my barronett grounder 350 blind, a turkey is bound to catch a killzone from me this April!!!

10. hcfirefighter09

hcfirefighter09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I counted about 8 long beards and a bunch of hens down on the backside of the property.

11. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opens March 30 down here.

Twerpy will be with me in the Double Bull on opening morning.

Gobblers and bearded hens are legal in spring.

I plan to use my bow, but if that old tom that toyed with me last year won't come out of the brush, he's getting the super mag Nitro Turkey treatment.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Born ready

13. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Im pretty much ready. Not sure which broadheads I am going to use yet. Pretty excited to get one with my bow. Once I get my Covert Camera in I am going to try and get some pictures for scouting since the land I hunt is 2 hours away from me now. It a family friends farm and they will keep an eye on it for me to

14. hcfirefighter09

hcfirefighter09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Go with some Rage broadheads or Muzzy broadheads. If you confident you can hit the head shot go with Magnus Bullheads you can't fail there.

15. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting Slick Trick Broadheads for deer and I had bought some kind of backer that goes behind your broadhead for turkeys and small game. I dont know what it is called I bought it like three years ago and have never really used it. Puts a nice hole in the target though looks like a nickle sized hole in the target. I wanted to get Magnus Bullheads or the guillotine broad heads because it seems like more people use them for turkey. One question though can you practice much with the magnus bullhead broadhead without worrying about the blades dulling or breaking. Here is a picture if what I was thinking of using (dont laugh it is pretty strange looking) but I dont know... I would rather take a head shot because I have heard it is easier to pin point the shot location. Turkey Broadhead.jpg

16. hcfirefighter09

hcfirefighter09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen those broadheads before, and to answer your question about practicing with the Bullheads the answer is no you dont want to practice with those. The best way that I have been taught to shoot turkeys is with expandable broadheads just forward of the center of the wing.

17. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    I watched a video on here the other day that was of great help in where to shoot at the body of the turkey. Maybe I will just stick with what I got for broadheads. It looks like it will do the trick, it sure does do some damage to the target that's for sure. But I always like trying new products. How do people test the arrow flight of the Magnus without being able to practice? I would think you would have to make sure the flight is good before you take it to the field. Probably just ruin one of the broadheads in the three pack...?

18. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be shooting the NAP Gobbler Getter. No better turkey head in my opinion. I stink at calling but getting better so we'll see how it goes. Will hunt Oklahoma and hope to hunt Kansas. Good luck to all of you!

19. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im fired up. Just got my blind,broadheads and a new sight bring on the thunder chickens :whip:

20. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been ready since sundown last day of 2012 season.