Lone Wolf stand ansd climbing sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Wubba, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Wubba

Wubba Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Considering a new purchase of the Lone Wolf Alpha II and climbing sticks.

Just wondering how many of you use this set up and what you all think of it as a mobile treesrand vs a climbing stand?

Pros? any cons?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. NickB

NickB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a hang on and a climber. They both work great for mobility, the only thing I didn't like about the climbing sticks/stand was the time it took to set up and take down. I would consider myself in decent shape and I always broke a good sweat setting them up. That's just me tho. What was really nice was being able to get in really any tree I wanted with that set up.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest advantage that a Lone Wolf hang-on stand and climbing sticks give you is versatility. You can use them in just about any tree that the straps will fit around even if it's a little crooked, has a fork in it, a lot of limbs, etc. Those things you can't do with a climber.

The climber is quicker to setup and climb up/down with than a hang-on with sticks despite what some people claim. With a perfectly straight tree that has no limbs or bends and if you don't care about being quiet, breaking a sweat, or staying totally safe I'm sure you "could" setup the hang-on in close to the same time as the climber but those aren't realistic situations.

So you need to decide what's more important to you - being able to get up and down a little bit more quickly, or being able to hunt just about wherever you want. To me, versatility is more important than speed.

Having said all of that, I would like to get a climber for this season to add into my arsenal. I stick a hang-on in a few trees each year that I could easily get in with a climber. So I plan on repurposing those hang-ons into more non-climber friendly trees to give me more options to hunt from.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LW & Sticks are the way to go IMO :tu:

5. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have both climber and LW with sticks. i like the clmber a lot it's great and I love to use it but I really don't have many spots I can get in the tree that I really want to so I have to compromise and ill tell you it sucks to be watching a deer walk by the tree you wanted to sit in but couldn't and the opportunity is lost. If you can only get one get the hang on just my .02

6. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been thinking about the same thing lately. I've used a climber the last couple seasons. Years ago I used a hang on with screw on steps. Now I hunt public land so leaving a hang on out is out of the question. All in all i'm thinking of getting a hang on and sticks as well. Like striker said compromise can sometimes make a grown man cry. The only thing i'm sort of worried about is hanging in the dark, but I think i'm just being over cautious.

7. ohiobowhunter77

ohiobowhunter77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have a lone wolf alpha hang on, and the lone wolf sticks...best hang on stand on the planet, in my opinion. they are light, quiet, rugged(rated for 350lbs) and very smartly designed...the sticks fit into a groove on the platform and the seat...locks togeather great. i also have a lone wolf hand climber combo. the climber is definately easier, but you are limited to trees, as stated above. i would not hunt out of ANY other tree stand after owning my lone wolfs. they are not cheap, but WELL WORTH what you pay for them. this was my first season using my lw alpha, so i dont have the set up and pulling down pat yet, but i am developing a pretty good system to hanging and pulling them down. also trying different ways to attach the sticks to the stand(different ways to attach the straps)...these stands are awesome.

8. ohiobowhunter77

ohiobowhunter77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i figured out that if you loop the straps around the versa buttons on the sticks, hang them around your neck and under one arm...tie the stand to a rope tied to a belt loop, and hook up your safety harness......you can hang one stick, climb up it, pull off another, hang it, and so on untill you have all your sticks up...then pull up your stand, hang it...climb in. you dont have to go up and down the tree more than once...this is nice compared to going up and down the tree. this saves a little time, and a lot of sweat. you can also hook your gear to a seperate rope, and haul it up too...if you are doing a hang and hunt. this may take a few tweaks, but you will get a system that works best for you, and can be very efficient with a hang on and sticks. this was my first season using one, and i think i will just get better and better, as far as my hanging system...and so will you. practice in a tree by your house, so you can start to figure out your system before you are trying it in the woods, in the dark...any other tips from other lw users would be great...as i am pretty new to the lw hang on myself! but i will tell you that you will LOVE a lone wolf if you buy it! my dad has a few summit climbers, and although they are a bit more comfy for all day sits(which i do anytime i hunt)...the lone wolf is SO much more easy to pack, walk with, hang, and use...i find the summits loud, clanky, and cumbersome personally....and i tend to knock into every tree i walk past with a summit on my back, wont even use anything but my lw now. summits are great, so please dont take this as a knock against them, some people on here seem very sensitive...i just prefer the lone wolf over them.

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Apha II but with different sticks. Buy the comfort seat and use the other for a back rest.

10. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use them both and love them both when used in the right application. I think I could live in the Summit for awhile if I had to; its that comfortable to me. The LW is versatile as stated but I also use the sticks to access other stands that I use. I have several less expensive stands that I leave in the woods with locking cables and use the sticks to access them. They are on public land and haven't had any stolen yet. I guess because I take the sticks with me and they're not easy to get to unless someone packs their own climbing system into my spot. I don't leave the LW in the tree though... :D

I would suggest practicing with either system so you are efficient and quiet as possible when using the stands during the season. It will save you a lot of time and frustration. Good luck with whatever you choose.

11. CajunTieDowns

CajunTieDowns Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the sticks and a gorilla lock on. I replaced the cheap straps that come with them and made some ratchet straps. I also made a strap that wraps around the stand and holds the sticks in place, it has a hook on it that will double as a hanger. I put up the sticks, then put the strap in the tree, I have a small piece of rope tied to the seat. I put the rope in the hook, so the stand will hang there without you having to hold it up while you get the strap around the tree. Once it is up I use that strap and hook to hang my pack. If you want to see a pic of it or want one, let me know. You can get my # from my website, if you have any questions or want any custom straps.

Brandon T.
    www.cajuntiedowns.com

12. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same setup. When I first started hunting I went out and purchased a climber because everyone was saying that was the way to go. I got it all setup and went out on my first hunt with it. I was hunting public land and cutting limbs just wasn't an option. After over an hour of searching during hunting time I finally found a tree that would work and allow me to get up 20'. So irritated I went home and purchased my LW set. The versatility it provides is amazing. I have since hunted that same public spot and have found thousands of trees that are now huntable. The setup is easy and it packs up great. I still have that climber but it hasn't been used once since then.