broad head for turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bowmaster101, Feb 24, 2013.

1. bowmaster101

bowmaster101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year turkey hunting with a bow, i was wondering what broad head to use? WOULD A MUZZY fix blade work ok????:confused::confused::confused::confused: thanks

2. Wait-N-Pines

Wait-N-Pines Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see why that wouldn't work for ya... A well placed shot and the broadhead doesn't matter.

3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a huge Muzzy fan...but not for turkeys. Turkeys have a small kill zone and if you miss it the Muzzy doesn't kill them quickly. Small cut on contact heads are great but not the best for shooting turkey in my opinion. An expandable head will serve you better and he NAP Gobbler Getter is a great head for two reasons. First it has a "bullet" head on it and it provides some "shock" or "knock down" power on contact. It also prevents the arrow passing through the bird so the broad head stays in the bird and continues to do more damage. Second, it is expandable and opens up to give you more cutting surface. Check out this video; it is a perfect example of how the head works.
    http://www.bowhunting.com/videos/season-3--2012/episode-03-gettin-gobblers_1557

4. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about getting the Gobbler Getters but i wasnt sure. Do you think these heads would be effective on a bird if I am pulling around 52 lbs? Im afriad that with the lower poundage I wont get enough of that "shock" or "knock down". Thanks for the input.

5. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use dull slick tricks. It seems that whenever I get a passthrough, I have to run the turkey down and try to catch it. A dull slick trick usually knocks them over if I do my part.

6. Palma

Palma Newb

Dislikes Received:
    50+ pounds is more than enough to put a whitetail down, so it will kill a bird. Placement is key, turkey has a small kill zone.

7. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My question was that because the Gobbler Getter head uses shock and power to knock the bird down, If my bow at 52# would deliver enough energy so there would be the amount needed of that "shock" and "knock down" power to do what the Gobbler Getter was built to do. Or If i would be just better off using sharp expandables like I do on deer?. Does this make sense or am I talking **** haha

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed a couple with spitfire, didn't have any issues...I usually use whatever bow I am shooting for LATE season whitetails, so it's always a 60 pound bow maxed out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Hoyt_Archer

Hoyt_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: