Skill

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Notorious, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Notorious

Notorious Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How good with a bow should I be before attempting my first hunt?

2. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Um confident enough that you can keep groups consistently in a square about the size of an index card, when your comfortable with an accurately judge distances. I dunno basically if you have to question yourself ya should be practicing not hunting. Archery is a "game" of accuracy an bow accurate you can be. Consistency bein key in this.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dont most people kill within 30 yards? If that is the case, then I guess getting a good consistent group within that would be reasonable.

4. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's neat to say online you practice at 60 and 70 yards to make the short shots seem easier. That's fine and good, but the majority of hunters out there do not have the skills to make an ethical/lethal shot on an animal at those distances. I'd rather spend my time practicing at the distances I plan on shooting deer which is inside 30 yards.

Does it make sense for a basketball player to go shoot half court shots trying to improve his free throw accuracy? To me that logic just doesn't stand up.

Bowhunters live for the close encounters and the adrenaline rush of having a game animal so close it's vitals fill your sight housing. I'll practice for moments like that over the 70 yard flings all day long.

Find a distance you feel comfortable and can make a killing shot everytime and work up from there. I personally started at 10 yards. I'm now up to 25 after three years of shooting. But I've got 7 kills under my belt 2 of which are P&Y bucks, 2 heart shots, and the other 5 double lung. No lost deer, no sob story track jobs. You owe it to your quarry to shoot within your limits, not try to extend them once you're in the stand.

5. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

This!!!!!!^^^^^

6. Notorious

Notorious Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. Just wanted a goal. An Index card it is. Ill work my way from 10-60. Good few month goal.

7. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That goal is unrealistic. No way you will be hitting an index card consistently at 60yds, especially in just a few months. I can't do it, even after almost 30 years of shooting! Just don't want to see you get discouraged.

8. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is pretty impressive. Answers the question exactly. Props.

9. Notorious

Notorious Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I practice every day ill get there. I'm not worried about the longer ranges. Just a way to keep going.

10. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let the man have his goals, and if he has the ability to shoot everyday he might just reach them. I used to be about to do that consistently when I shot everyday.

11. SG843

SG843 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Long distance shooting Will make a difference in your shorter shots. Not saying take long shots at animals but it's the person who is doing the shooting that makes the decision on ethics. Shooting pie plate groups at 60 will bring your thirty tight. Practice and you make the decision on ethics and distance. Have respect for the game you pursue and learn from your mistakes.

12. Notorious

Notorious Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I don't plan on taking long shots at animals. The reason I got a bow is to get up close and personal and make it more fair. If I wanted to take game from a long distance id use a rifle.

13. xtreme16

xtreme16 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say hitting CONSISTANTLY in a pie plate ranging from 10 to 40 yards. From different angles not just straight ahead! And also from in a tree stand. If you plan on hunting in a tree stand SHOOT in a tree stand. Try quartering to and away shots etc. Once you do this and your bow set up is all checked out you should be good to go!

14. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of your practice should be at situational distances, but I won't discount the benefit of shooting at long distance. It does help improve form.

15. Mr.CluckCluck

Mr.CluckCluck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    words of wisdom

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this 100%. I've been hunting just over 25 years...18 of those with a bow. I cant remember how many deer I've killed in my life....probably around 30 or so with a bow out those I think one was 40 yards. The rest was 30 yards or less. I do shoot 50 yards ever now and then...but practice at 30 & 40 yards most of the time. Ri d what your comfortable shooting.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  17. Kctinner71

Kctinner71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think Jeffacrap hit it on the head brother, and I will add you should be as good as you can be before your first hunt, Ive been hunting with a bow for 20+ yrs now and can still get better and I never stop trying too! Practice all you can have a good one

18. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Practice, practice, practice. When you get in the stand you need to be honest with yourself about your accurate lethal range. Pick your distance and don't shoot past it. Try a 3D tournament it will help you with judging the distances and different angles and shots. It will also help you with judging vital zones on the animals. You'll learn your limitations very quickly

19. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    exactly what I was going to say, if you can consistently hit a pie plate at 40, then you should be good at 10-30 enough to shoot an animal

20. nwflycaster

nwflycaster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will cast a vote for the group that likes to practice at longer ranges. If there is anything wrong with your form it will surely show up at the longer distances. I disagree with the basketball analogy since with archery you change nothing but your sight, if you changed nothing with a free throw from half court you would fall far short so it's not the same thing.
    I spend 80% of my practice time at 80 yards shooting at an 8" dia. paper plate. I only took up archery a little over a year ago but will keep 90% of my shots on the plate and the ones that miss are not by much. So practicing regularly will get you a long way in a short amount of time, as long as you are practicing proper form and fundamentals.
    As an addition to my regular routine I have started part of my practice sessions to include a fifty yard run up the hill next to the range and back down then shoot one arrow within 15 seconds then take off and do it again until all five arrows have been shot. Then I go get my arrows and do it a few more times. Twenty minutes of this is quite a workout and will surely test your shooting when your heart is racing. I'm hoping this will simulate the conditions I may face when I get to 10,000 feet in Wyoming.
    I also practice shooting uphill and downhill at varying distances at my local club's walk through course. Next I will be adding in a period of drawing the bow and just holding it, just incase I have to hold for a long time before I get a shot opportunity. Though I'm hoping adrenaline at the time will give me some added strength.

That's my whole lot of .02

Oh, and as far as how good do you need to be? If you have any doubt or question whatsoever at the shot that's presenting itself, you shouldn't attempt it.

While I practice at 80 yards I would never take a shot that far. Not because I don't think I could hit my target but because I don't feel there will be enough energy remaining to do the job properly with the poundage I shoot.