shootin n the wind observations. heavy arrows VS light

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowhunterleroy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. bowhunterleroy

bowhunterleroy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for the last 2 hrs, ive been shooting my bow in the wind and making some interesting observations as far as how my big-bad-heavy 580 grain arrows are flying and how my little 367 grain arrows are flying aswell... now i know theres not a constant variable going on here and some shots had more wind then others, but to me, this is a rather real life situation. i started off shooting my aluminum arrows as i didnt intend to shoot the carbons. so after a few minutes in the rather crazy wind, i decided it would be a great test. the test results were really really easy to remember

they grouped the SAME!

the amount of difference was nearly impossible to clarify a winner, i will however say, it did look like the light carbon arrows were a bit tighter then the aluminum arrows... i did majority of the shots at 40 yards, since thats the distance i feel helps me stay as sharp as possible and because its the distance i have to deal with since its in my back yard =P.

i recall on the really windy shots for the carbons, i was getting groups just smaller then the width of my palm of my hand with the carbons... and with the aluminum's, i was getting groups a bit wider.

i guess the reason why i thought this was kinda interesting, is because of the weight difference. my bow should fling the 367 arrows at like 309fps and the 580 at 245fps, so im not sure what to think about this really, i do know that ill be going coyote hunting soon with my bow, and i might wanna get another set of lite carbons just to get that speed, it dont take much to kill a dog =p