shoulder injury

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Skyman, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Skyman

Skyman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i had hurt my arm at work one week and decided to still go to the bow shoot one weekend like an idiot and really did a number on my shoulder. ever since that day its never been the same and hurts pretty much everyday if moved in an awkward position. anyways this was last year before hunting season and still hurts. i really havent shot much all fall and winter and do try and strech before i shoot.

is there any suggestions to get rid of this? or is this something that i'm gonna have to deal with?

2. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you ever have your shoulder looked at by a doc?

3. Skyman

Skyman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No i havent dnt have insurance i think it would b expensive

4. MyNewZXT

MyNewZXT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it happened at work then its a work comp case and your employer will cover it. You did report the injury to your employer didn't you?

5. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As many injuries as possible should always happen at work...shouldn't they? Obama Care may EVERYTHING though...NOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should also look into getting health insurance.

7. KansasK

KansasK Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you decide not to go to the doctor (You should go) look up shoulder exercises on the web...Get the rubberband and a few 5-10 lbs weights to do them. I had shoulder surgery 10 years ago on one, needed both, and the one that was fixed still bothers me. The other one feels great just with rehab.

8. Skyman

Skyman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the input i have been stretching daily and lifting some weight since i made the post i think it has helped a little bit. i plan to continue to do this. if it doesnt feel like its getting any better i will be seeing a doctor.

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it turns out you need surgery, do your homework just like you would when buying new equipment! The RIGHT doc will make all the difference. My wife and a buddies wife had the same rotator cuff surgery. Each went to a different doc. My wife is fine. My buddies-not so much. After 2 surgeries, she still has pain and limited mobility.

If you hear bad things about a doc in your area, go someplace else if you have no other local choices.

10. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did pretty much the same thing to mine when i got my first bow. I would spend hours outside shooting even when I got tired form would go out the window and I would keep on shooting. I ended up with a harline fracture in my shoulder and bruised the bone. only thing that helped make me better was to just not use it as much. had to take about 2 weeks off from shooting and drop my draw weight a little to compensate for my shoulder. haven't had any problems since. hope ya get better

11. Skyman

Skyman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went to the doc and got some medicine and havent shot my bow for atleast 2 weeks. She said it was most likely inflamation and I should just go easy on it. It has got better for sure but I can still tell its there. I will be shooting the bow tomorrow for the first time in like I said a couple of weeks. I also lowered my # so we'll see how it goes.

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to a GOOD Chiropractor and he will have you shooting in a week. I swear by these guys. Just tell him you have insurance and what will he charge you if you pay cash. I've done this my whole life. I only buy major medical insurance for my wife and I. I think the other insurances are a. It rip off but that another topic.

Also. If your not already in good shape try slowly getting into a push up routine. I find the strength training is fantastic on my shoulders. Just have to start out real slow at first.
    Check out onehundredpushup.com

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cortisone shot in the shoulder or steroids? If you got the shot it will feel pretty good for a few weeks or maybe a bit longer, but find some shoulder rehab exercises. Strengthening the shoulder should help if you haven't done some more serious damage to the shoulder...

14. PABuck_HNTR

PABuck_HNTR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Biggest problem I see at the Pro Shop is guys thinking they need to shoot high poundage... Do yourself a favor (anyone) shoot no more than 60 lbs unless you do serious weight training. I have seen ALOT of guys have to quit shooting or go to a crossbow because they thought they needed speed and higher draw weights...

Once you get shoulder problems they linger for a very long time or eventually require surgery.