trouble getting my sight dialed in

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jcherm, Feb 8, 2013.

1. jcherm

jcherm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bought my bow in the past couple months, and seem to be having trouble getting pins sighted in
    when I bought the bow, the shop got me shooting with the 1st pin set on 10 yds, with a really nice group

since then, as I have taken my bow out shooting at the local range, I can't seem to adjust the subsequent pins
    when I try and adjust it so I have a nice group at 20 yards, I can't physically move the pin close enough to the one already set at 10 yards- there isn't enough space

when I shoot at the 20 yd target with the pin set at 10 yds, it actually isn't too far off - maybe 2 to 3 inches

so my questions are:
    is it that there just isn't enough drop between 10 and 20 yards?
    Should i set the first pin at a target at 15 yds
    any thoughts would be appreciated

2. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A 15 Yard pin seems a reasonable solution to your dilemma.

3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or you could just start at 20 yards. Only you have the information to judge your "normal" shooting distance. If you feel that shot opportunities are between 10 and 20 yards, then a 15 yard pin probably is the place to start.

Personally, I start at 20 yards (with a 3 pin sight) as my shot opportunities are generally 20-30 yards. Anything closer with the heart as the aim point, I will generally still have a midbody entry and lower third exit hole-normally resulting in good blood trails.

4. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    John something you said about moving the 20 pin "close enough to the 10" that makes me wonder. Shouldn't you move the next pin away from the 10 yard pin?

I'm also new at this.

RC

5. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If his second pin is shooting high at 20, he would move that pin closer to the top or 10 yard pin. If his 20 yard pin is shooting low, he would move it away from the top pin.

In other words, you "chase your group" to make the proper sight adjustment. The same thing for left and right adjustments.

6. mpp0010

mpp0010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion 20 yards should be the starting point because anything under20 if you aim with the 20 you will still be in any kill zone. That is simply my experience though. If I had 2 pins way too close to each other that simply tells me I only need 1 for that range. Good luck with whatever you decide is best for YOU (b/c that is all that matters)

7. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say put the first pin where it is hitting almost the same at 10-20 yds. Your shooting 2-3 inches low at 20 with your 10 yd pin. But if you just change that pin to, say 18-20 yds, you may only shoot an inch high, if that, at 10 yds. It will be easier to adjust for shooting an inch high, rather than 3 inches low. If that makes any sense.

8. jcherm

jcherm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the advise - had an idea it was as you all suggest, but glad to get confirmation

9. Wait-N-Pines

Wait-N-Pines Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always started my pin setup with a 20yd pin. Have never had any trouble shooting anything closer than 20yds and being way off. Just learn the bow and compensate for whatever it does. Might have to use the top of the pin when shooting anything closer.