The 'Fox' Slingbow - Slingshot Hunting System

Discussion in 'Bows For Sale or Trade' started by LibertyOST, Jan 25, 2013.

1. LibertyOST

LibertyOST Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings all!

Thanks for checking out this post, and I am very eager to see what you all think. After a very long process of designing my system, I'm quite proud to present my slingbow - slingshot hunting system. Since I've already written out a very lengthy description on Etsy, I figured I may as well just use that again...

[​IMG]

"The 'Fox' Slingshot/Slingbow Hunting System

Oak Model

The 'Fox' has been the result of my 5-year-long pursuit for a survival hunting system that is small and lightweight, yet at the same time, extremely effective on multiple sizes of game. The beauty of this system is that it takes up a fifth of the weight of a recurve bow, yet it can also fire traditional slingshot ammo, meaning that you've got an all encompassing hunting system that you can stuff in the haversack and trek into the wild.

I designed the Fox to be as simple as it gets:

You can fire any type of slingshot ammunition, from the 1/4 inch-steel pellets to .45 caliber rounds. Then, when you are ready to switch the system over to using arrows ...all you need to do is loosen the socket screws on either side, push the knuckle guard upright until it makes contact with the stabilizing dowel, and retighten the screws. When you need to nock the arrow, simply use the 550 paracord that has been tied to the pouch. With this system, you don't have to remove any components (that could easily get lost) when switching from slingshot to slingbow. And, you can even use a mechanical release for more precise shooting.

Survival

The Fox has several different aspects that make it a fantastic survival tool, even parts that can be utilized in the event of a problem when you are isolated in the wild. For instance:

1. The handle comes with approximately 12 feet of 550 paracord, that you can untie from the side and use for immediate cordage.
    2. The reason why I used the surgical tubing-style bands is because they can double as tube-straws for sucking water from a small crevas in a desperate situation, while awaiting help.
    3. When camping (let alone a survival situation) things get lost unbelievably easily, so I designed the system so that nothing detaches in order to function or convert the Fox to limit the liability of losing or breaking a component.

Maintenance

Slingshot bands are always going to break eventually, no matter who makes them. Also, things happen, and components may be lost, especially during hard usage in a rough environment. Knowing this, I decided to use components that can be procured at any super-store or found online within minutes. Nevertheless, the parts I used have a lower rate of breakage... For instance:
    While surgical tubing-style bands might not be as accurate as flat bands, how often will you need such a precise shot as to cut a playing card in half? You need to be accurate enough to take small game, and the tubes provide that capability. Where the tubing shines is in its widespread availability for replacement, and they are much, much more durable than their flat counterparts.
    I decided to go with 1/4-20 style threading for the hardware, which is also very common. If you accidentally lose a nut, washer, or the socket screw in a freak accident, a quick stop at any hardware store, and the Fox will be good as new.
    550 paracord is also extremely common. You can find it at just about any hardware store, sporting goods store, gun store, tactical supply store, or camping and hiking store. This is why I used the 550 paracord as my band attachment system, sling attachment, and gripping.
    Small zip-ties can be found just about anywhere, and I used those to attach the bands to the paracord and stabilize the knots.
    I made the Fox out of Oak; an extremely hard, very durable wood, that should hold up for years of use. I did leave the wood components unfinished, however I gave it a coat of linseed oil in order to keep moisture at bay, and give it that gorgeous glow.
    As you can see, I designed this system so that you can use it for a decade, then give it to your kids when they're ready to dispatch some critters.

Add-ons and Upgrades

I am well aware that the bands I supply with the 'Fox' aren't exactly the heaviest in draw weight. I did this on purpose.
    My reasoning is that I would rather the first shots from the hunting system to be taken with less velocity, as it does require some practice (for most average Joes) in order to sight-in the Fox. In addition to that, the current draw weight is more than adequate to take small and medium sized game.

However, in order to switch to the heavy Trumark bands, it's only a $6.00 purchase online. These bands are used for slingbow deer hunting on a regular basis.

Also, for an extra charge of $10.00, I can ad a sling with your purchase of the Fox. A sling will allow for even more stabilization by sizing it to the right length, allowing you to add outward tention. This should help keep the shaking down in the event that you must draw for an extended period of time. And of course, it provides a hands free system, when you aren't using it at the moment.
    If you would like to buy a sling, simply go to this link:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/112645043/the-fox-sling-2-carabiners-and-strap

***Current 550 paracord handle-wrap: OD GREEN***
    ***Fox Sling NOT included with this purchase***

and... just because I have to have it...

Disclaimer: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. This product is NOT A TOY. It is, in fact, very, very dangerous if used improperly, and prudent safety precautions must be observed. Safety glasses and protective gloves must be worn at all times when using the Fox. The manufacturer is not liable and will not be held responsible for any injury or damage to property, persons, or effects while using the Fox Slingshot/Slingbow Hunting System.

Now that THAT's out of the way, I thank you for your interest in the Fox, and I hope you enjoy it for years to come. If you have any questions, feel free to fire away."

...So what do you all think? Do you like the design? What would you change?

2. Trout Slayer

Trout Slayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any action shots? I would be cool to see it in action and its accuracy.

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Chrono

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! That's amazing. Mine can only shoot arrows. I attached a whisker biscuit and a stabilizer. It's so accurate. My first time using if a killed a woodchuck at twenty yards.

5. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    How much?

6. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Link shows $51

7. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Oh sorry never clicked on the link

8. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How fast

9. LibertyOST

LibertyOST Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at around 130-140 fps for the Fox, (but you can get it faster by shortening the length of pull on the bands). It's really not meant for big game, but mostly small game that you would want for a bushcraft/survival scenario ...not to mention, it's great for lazy target shooting in the backyard. With the Wolf, I use the heavy black bands from Trumark (#40), and I can get just a pinch over 200 fps consistently out of the thing.