Newb Scent Control Question...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by lupine_tendencies, Jan 21, 2013.

1. lupine_tendencies

lupine_tendencies Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So there is a severe shortage of quality hunting gear out there for women. Sure, I can use xxs men's or youth gear, but it just isn't the same. My question is if I buy REALLY good base layers and boots (I've heard good things about silver?) Do I really need scent control in all layers? I have a silver bag inside a tupperwear bin to store all my gear (which so far is a pair of gloves :P), and intend to wash with all the appropriate scent elimination products. Scent emanates from the skin out, and the breath, so the conclusion I draw is that a good base layer is all you need. But I am brand new to this, so any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last season all I used was the normal under armour base layer nothin fancy, but used W.R.C.'s Scent Killer Gold shampoo, laundry detergent and spray. Also I bought a pair of Scent Blocker gloves. An I got within 15 yards from 4 little does the ground. Granite wind working in my favor helped tremendously but they never winded me. Just a suggestion, and remember to spray the bottom of your boots with scent killer!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. carnivore1

carnivore1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use sport wash to wash my clothes, shower with scent free shampoo and body soap and store my clothes in a rubbermaid tote. Then I spray with scent free spray when I get my clothes on at my hunting site. Other than that, I just play the wind. I own scent-lok clothing but haven't "activated" them in the dryer for three years. In my opinion, it doesn't work anyway, just keep them washed in scent free detergent and dry them outside.

4. carnivore1

carnivore1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use sport wash to wash my clothes, shower with scent free shampoo and body soap and store my clothes in a rubbermaid tote. Then I spray with scent free spray when I get my clothes on at my hunting site. Other than that, I just play the wind. I own scent-lok clothing but haven't "activated" them in the dryer for three years. In my opinion, it doesn't work anyway, just keep them washed in scent free detergent and dry them outside.

5. 1jody256

1jody256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    last year all i did was wash my clothes in baking soda ,store them in a scent free bin,and use a pine cover scent,and play the wind had deer under my stand every day i hunted,playing the wind is your biggest concern.

6. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum. !!

7. lupine_tendencies

lupine_tendencies Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here's another newb question that relates to scent: If you're out all day and need to urinate, what do you do? It seems dumb to spend a small fortune on scent control just to urinate in the woods. Is the answer a funnel and bottle? I have a rather small baldder so this WILL be an issue.

8. lupine_tendencies

lupine_tendencies Newb

Dislikes Received:
  9. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some people say just hang over the stand and let it go, some will say go in a bottle to conceal the sent. i use a bottle just for extra precaution. There’s people who make mock scrapes with their own urine and swear by it but who really knows. As far as scent control yes scent block clothing is nice but you still have to play the wind and take all precautions. Shower, wash clothes, and spray down, and play the wind and that’s the best you can do.

10. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, i just get down outta my stand walk back the same exact path i came in on an take a detour off the path where i dont think any deer will come around or a creek sometimes if its close, seems to make sense that the scent would go with the water right? hahha

11. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Urine will not harm your hunts. A lot of guys pee in scrapes or make mock scrapes. It works. This year, I took a leak on the trail where I wanted the deer to stop. Twenty minutes later I had 2 small bucks come by and each one of them paused to check out my business, at 12 yards broadside. They walked off unalarmed.

12. lupine_tendencies

lupine_tendencies Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if making a scrape would work for female urine though? I guess I'll just have to try and see what happens.

13. tailstalker

tailstalker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I get out of the stand and dig a hole with my foot then cover when I'm done. I have noticed that the smell of deer urine right out of the bladder when field dressing is similar to ours. I think the deer are alarmed when they associate human urine with some other human scent.

14. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard of guys hanging "used" tampons in the woods, so there might be something to a lady peeing in a scrape.

15. chop

chop Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like to store all of my gear with Earth scent wafers after washing it all in dead down wind. I also like to spray both the base of the tree and spray down the tree once I'm in the stand. Having a good cover scent is just as important as having good scent elimination. I try to make it as natural of a scent as possible and cover all my scent levels as wind above the forest floor is generally moving faster than scent at ground level and will reach the intended game before the lower level, less abrasive, wind currents.

16. chop

chop Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to mention that I use earth scent spray as well on the trees. A lot of times we can over think and overwhelm the whole scent game. To much scent, whether it's a mixture of naturally occurring scents or man made cover scents, can discourage an animal from maintaining his natural heading.

17. Hoyt_Archer

Hoyt_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you know your size you could go to SB SK or UA website and order it online..