Ground Blinds - What do you use?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by nsimmons, Jan 20, 2013.

1. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Turkey season is coming and will be upon us sooner then most of us think. I might be in the market for a new ground blind. My Dad has one but it has been years since we have used it and I do not recall how big it is and I wont know until I go back to his house in a couple weeks to test it out. I want to know what you all are using for your turkey hunting ground blind?

How many people hunt in your blind and is it comfortable or is it just enough room to make by?

What do you shoot in your blind bow or shotgun?

Do you have a camera on a tripod while you are trying to shoot with or without somebody operating it?

Are the windows quiet when operating them in a highpressure situation?

Does it stay dark inside the blind and do you stay dry when its raining?

My goal is to find a blind that I can be shooting my bow with a camera man next to me with a camera on a tripod or something to keep it good and steady. I want to have enough room to be comfortable. I have seen some blinds with magnets for the windows and that looks pretty slick. I am also like most hunters trying not to break my bank on a ground blind when I pretty much only use it for turkey hunting. Hope this forum topic becomes a great help to hunters trying to find the right ground blind for their set up.

Thanks

2. Downeast

Downeast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago I bought a Predator Blind from Cabela's. It is big enough for 2 guys to shoot bow or guns and plus have a camera set up for video if you want. Windows can be noisey but I only open 1 side as you don't want to get light in as you will be seen if you have more open. I do stay dry when it rains. The blinds with the magnets for the windows do cost a lot more.

3. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks that has been one of them I have been looking at. You are right on the windows and light but you never know when a wild animal will do something out of the ordinary and go behind you or something.

4. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ameritech
    The window flap I open stays open. I also open the mesh on that window. It is noisy but it is all part of setting up for the day.
    I wouldn't mind being in there with my wife but not my hunting buddy.
    It's dark and dry. Of course living in Arizona the dry is not always an issue. :-)

RC

5. Trout Slayer

Trout Slayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saplings, grasses, leaves, and a spot to pile it all in works really well too. And free. You can also make it as big as you want. No rain protection but I'm okay with getting my outer layers wet.

I shoot a longbow though and most fabric ground blinds are not conducive to a 64" bow so I have always made my own blind with the materials in the area. It has worked for every species too. I'm also kind of in to DIY so maybe that's why I lean towards the natural stuff.

6. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We use a Primos blind, the cheaper one not the crusher or double bull. 2 6' 230 pound guys, 2 bows, a tripod and a camera all fit. There's not room to stretch out, but it's not cramped either. The windows are noisy, but we leave the back sides shut and the front open. We have killed many a turkey with this setup

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ameristep doghouse. Pretty decent blind for the $$ IMO

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used one nor own one yet but, I have say in one and plan in buying sometime this year. Barronett blinds. They make some really nice ones and are pretty competitive on pricing. Google them and check them out.

9. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This year we will be using the Ameristep Bone Collector. We set it up in my living room and boy is it roomy. You can for sure fit one shooter and one camera man in there, and maybe even 3 people if no one is filming. I will be using my bow (of course) and there is more than enough room for that. Plus, the vertical windows on the corners are pretty cool. It feels really durable and i cant wait to use it! We got it for $170 on sale at dunhams.

10. Downeast

Downeast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go into ****s Sporting Goods or Cabela's they usually have some up that you can go into and see for yourself what they are like.

11. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife got me the barronett grounder 350 for my birthday earlier this month and it is awesome. It literally takes less than a minute to setup and takedown, comes with a backpack style carrying case, and the thing is HUGE. I'm 6'4" 265 pounds and can stand inside and shoot my bow with plenty of head room. I believe she picked it up at orscheln's and right now they are on sale from deer season ending.

12. Thunderbolt52

Thunderbolt52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Double Bull. Works good for two and a camera tripod.

14. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Double Bull Darkhorse, and love it!

15. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the great responses, it has helped me out hopefully this topic helps others out as well.

16. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a primos predator den. I have shot both a bow and shot gun out of it. It fits me and my dad comfortable enough to shoot a bow...so i think it has enough room for a tripod. One last thing is, its very affordable at $140.

17. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im really thinkin about getting this blind my local shop hade one set up when i bought my ballistic and it was really nice but i was spending enough money that day cause i got my bow and i also got a set of waders to finish out duck season in.

18. Travis R Marine

Travis R Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Currently I use a double bull darkhorse, I absolutely love it. Possibly pick up another blind this year, dont want to go as expensive as last time. The double bull costs an arm and a leg. I would probabaly buy the Ameristep bone collector, or the brotherhood edition blinds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

19. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Barnett Grounder 350 and the Big Mike Blind are great blinds without breaking the bank. They go on sale fairly often too so keep your eyes peeled.

20. HuntingNONstop

HuntingNONstop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Killzone 360 all the way