Going traditional :)

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by StringPuller#1, Jan 15, 2013.

1. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMAG0189 (361x640).jpg IMAG0190 (361x640).jpg
    Here's a couple pics of my new bow, it's a really nice wood piece, I sat down and very lovingly cammo wrapped it though. It's a Martin Hatfield take down, 60lb limbs with a quiver, stabilizer and a cheap 3 pin sight. I'm using Goldtip 55/75's cut to 28 1/2", feathers and 250gr tips. Total arrow weight is 555gr. I'm waiting on some broadheads to come in the mail, VAP Terminator three blades in 250gr. I've been practicing with field points for now and suprised myself how accurate I was with it immediately.
    I'm in our states lottery for spring turkey but I'll still use my compound for that, since I'm doing ground blind on a field edge and may need a longer shot with accuracy.
    My goal is to keep practicing all year with my recurve so come September I can deer hunt with it confidently.
    I've noticed that many people on various forums seem to stick with one or the other, compound or recurve/longbow. I am thinking of maybe hunting areas that are bow specific, like field edges......longer shot possibility=the compound, posted up ten yards off a travel trail.....maybe recurve? Good broadside as they pass by.........and close. Anyone else out there bounce back and forth between bows during a season?

2. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a sweet looking bow dude!

3. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt strictly with a Longbow, once I got my first one I never shot a compound again, don't even own one. I do switch up Longbows from time to time just cuz! Shoot what makes ya happy. I do! Nice bow!

4. StringPuller#1

Dislikes Received:
    Judging by the lack of views or responses to my post I'm feeling like most people on here shoot compounds. Hey don't vote me off the island I only said I was going to use both not abandon my wheelie bow :)

5. JimPic

JimPic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool looking bow! I bounce back and forth alot but it's usually different recurves or longbows....haven't shot a compound in 20yrs. I just recently set up a Trad Tech 17" ILF Titan riser with Trad Tech 55# limbs(about 62lbs on this riser) and have been shooting that mostly trying to work into the weight. I normally shoot around 50lbs

6. StringPuller#1

Dislikes Received:
    I got my 250gr VPA Terminations in the mail. I've been shooting them at my foam block. They seemto have flight, are quiet and good penetration. Maybe I'll be good enough to try them out come April for spring turkey :)

7. Wait-N-Pines

Wait-N-Pines Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice.. Don't know if I will ever be able to make that jump. I have enough trouble shooting the compound bows lol.

8. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have fun with the traditional equipment. I don't jump back and forth.. I gotta stick with one.

woodsman

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Think I am going to go back to the trad bow this season. I didn't feel the same magic in the woods this season when I carried in the compound.

10. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on finally hunting with my longbow this next season

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

11. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:

The VPA's are the best 3 blade out there in my opinion! Just a well built quality head that does everything I ask it to, and then some!

12. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Id like to get a longbow and see how I do. Dont see myself deer hunting with it. I hardly ever get shots with my current bow...Im not good enough of a deer hunter yet to cut my current bow distance in half lol. Would like to get going with one though, and if I feel I can kill, look into finding a place I could spot and stalk hogs or something. Congrats on your new bow though and keep us posted how it goes for u!

13. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not a lot of love on this site for trad folks. I shoot both. I shoot my longbow in the winter ans spring but then work my a$$ off all summer and loose my skills to the point to were I wont hunt with it. Nothing like walking into the woods with a stick and string tho. Great hobby

14. StringPuller#1

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't touched my compound once in the two months I've owned my recurve, and I shoot at least every other day with it. I'm getting better with my accuracy, I practice with it 30 yards and under, once I'm grouping paper plates consistently at 30 then I'll feel confident hunting with it. I'm primarily a ground blind hunter so it's a little harder shooting out of it due to the lenght , I do practice seated shooting with it.

15. kennyg

Dislikes Received:
    I am lucky as a buddy of mine make beautiful bows. I wish I knew how to post pics on here.

16. Trout Slayer

Trout Slayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a longbow hunter. I love shooting it and hunting with it. I practice at least twice a week in the off season and then build up to about 4 times a week just before season. I've gotten my comfortable shooting range to 45 yards onto a bread plate (6" groups). I don't shoot with a sight though. I'm a gap shooter.
    I just bought a used compound off another guy on this forum as a backup for my clients and I'm sure I'll take it out a couple times but after I got it tuned up for me and sighted in I started hitting 3"-4" groups at 30 yards in about 30 minutes but I felt like I was cheating.

All my buddies hunt with compounds and they love it. I like to go shoot with them and do little competitions.

Congrats on the new bow. Practice makes perfect and the feeling you get when you take a nice deer with a longbow can't be beat.

17. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking bow, have you thought about shooting it instinctively just curious. Next season I plan on borrowing my fathers 45# ben pearson recurve. I've always had a passion for traditional archery, it gets you back to the roots of bow hunting.

18. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:

Dave makes a great bow!

19. kennyg

Dislikes Received:
    my pics 036.jpg my pics 036.jpg my pics 035.jpg my pics 037.jpg
    ok, finally figured out how to add pics

20. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received: