What the funniest thing to happen to you or a friend while hunting?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by REMYNGTON, Dec 12, 2012.

1. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thought this might be a good amusing thread to start.

What is the funniest thing to happen to you or a friend while hunting?

For myself one of the funniest thing while hunting was sliding on my azz down a steep hill I was hunting in PA. It was the last buck I had harvested and was hunting on a lease with my uncle. I was sitting in a natural ground blind on almost on the top of a steep ridge when about 8:10am a nice big bodied mature buck comes walking up the ridge to my left. I make a perfect shot(rifle hunting) on him and he runs 20 yards falls over and starts tumbling down the hill. I wait about 20 mins and am talking on the radio with my uncle that was hunting a few hundred yards away.

The funny part is after getting out of the blind I took a few steps and down on my azz I went and literally slid almost 50-60 yards down the hill. Actually pretty lucky I didn't get hurt. Its not that funny sounding but I guess u had to be there. I ended up just a couple yards from my buck. Haha. Like I said prob doesn't sound that funny but having it happen to me I laughed about it for days and still do when I think about it. Funny to come to a stop right next to him. :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. colton96

colton96 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a squirrel fall on the ground infront of me before!!!! knocked him out for a good 10 minutes!

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The one that comes to mind was last season while hunting with my buddy Nick. Where were sitting over a creek crossing during the rut. At one point I decide to do a little calling with my bleat. So I let a few few of the "sexiest" bleats I could muster.

All of a sudden, I hear a bleat back. Then again, but it was coming from out in the crossing, not in the woods on either side. Soon enought the ice at the dam breaks, and a beaver steps up on the dam "bleating" away, searching for the source of my call. We both busted up in the tree. I'd call, the beaver would call back, we'd laugh. This went on for about 10 min.

I never new they could make a sound like that.

4. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have much to go on since i only started last year. but here it goes.

It was lat season last year it was really cold down in the single digits so my buddy and i wake up bright and early get ready and head out to the blind we had set up about 100 yards from his house. We get in and ready so as we are sitting there he falls asleep for awhile. So much for being an extra set of eye lol. But i look over and i see the longest snot sickle i had ever seen. This thing was about 2 feet long and the width of a pencil :lol: I was trying so hard not to laugh but i couldnt help it this thing was huge and came out of no where then as he is sleeping he just take his arm and wipes it across his arm. i wish i had a video camera to record that thing.

We didnt see anything that morning it might have been from my laughing but its okay because i got this story out of it!

5. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Lmao that's frickin hilarious oly!! Def wish ud have gotten some pics. There is no way I could've stayed quiet in that situation. Haha

6. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Haha that's nuts! I never knew they could either. I used to work on the grounds crew of a golf course down in GA and we had beavers all over that place and never heard one make bleat sounds. Good stuff. I'm sure I would've totally ruined the hunt from laughing.

7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish i would have but i left it inside since i didnt really need it. We were only 100yds from his house. But from now on im always prepared for anything :tu:

8. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. Out for the count..

9. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My finniest moment is a little gross and maybe a little inappropriate, but during early season, I helped my buddy recover his buck and doe he shot in the same morning. Both of us have only harvested a hand full of deer in our lives so we aren't exactly experts in the art of efficiently field dressing a deer. We started on the doe, which was the first doe he'd ever shot. I held the deer in place while he made the cuts. It was semi-gut shot, and we immediately started gagging from the smell. We just couldnt stop laughing and yurking for some reason, the smell and the laughing was contagious. When most of the guts were finally cut from the cavity, he stops laughing, looks down towards the rear quarters of the doe, and with a serious, perplexed look on his face he says "hmm that's interesting. This deer has two holes, an a**hole and a vaheena". I couldn't handle it anymore, it was the finniest thing I've ever heard someone say in a situation like that. It was a moment you had to witness to find funny, just the look on his face was priceless. By far the hardest I've ever laughed during my hunting career

10. grizzwald22

grizzwald22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year putting a stalk on two does, we got within about 50yds and I go to set up for a shot. As I am setting up for the shot, I hear a loud rip, and the two does take off running. I look down and I just ripped the crotch out of my pants. My friend starts laughing his arse off at me, saying in all the years he has hunted he never had anyone rip the crotch out of his pants in the middle of a hunt. We still laugh at that story.

11. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My funniest was back in 2008 on the first deer I ever took hunting ,and was with a shotgun. My neighbor and friend was showing me how to field dress the deer, we had it hanging in a tree out behind his house. So he is explaining everything and demonstrating, and got her open and was explaining the removal of the guts and whatnot. Right as he is telling me "you gotta be careful with the stomach and guts" he managed to slip his hand a little and a nice lovely fart noise followed by all the poop and foulness and amazing stench comes pouring out. Terry stops and grabs a beer and says "that right there is why you gotta be careful". His 5 year old daughter walks out and stops and says "nice job Dad, you know you aren't supposed to get poop on the inside of the deer"! I couldn't stop laughing!

12. derekc1231

derekc1231 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, last year i was heading out to my tripod, and it was about 5:30 am still dark, and as i stepped up my tripod something let out a loud screech, almost like a scream, it ended up being a bobcat, and i don't think i've ever been so scared before haha!

And my buddy was telling me how he had shot a deer, and his buddy frank was sitting in the back of the truck with the deer he shot, they never field dressed it, and the deer ended up coming alive somehow, and was jumping around and kicked frank a few times and jumped out, but he eventually found it and gut it. haha!

13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    About 30 years ago I was hunting with a buddy of mine. Once we arrived at the property he went one way and I went the other. While I was walking up the logging road I noticed a dead Raven that was hanging in the trees like it was on a cross. The land owner must have shot it and hung it there. I had never seen a Raven close up so I walked up to take a look at it. It was like a giant crow hanging there. I decided to pluck a couple of tail feathers for a souvenir. I reached out, grabbed a couple of feathers and gave it a big yank. As soon as I did that, the Raven let out a big CAAWWW!!! I damn near had a heart attack. I was temporarily stunned. Eventually I realized that by pulling on the feathers I also compressed the things chest cavity and forced air through its voice box!

I had to sit down while I laughed hysterically for almost 20 minutes for what I had done to myself!!

:jaw:

14. BTFoutdoorsman

BTFoutdoorsman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like to go with a buddy of mine dog hunting every once in a while, b/c i love hearing the dogs. So once (this year) we had shot a small buck and we hung him up early in the day, and by the end of the day and the hunt, we had to gut clean the deer. So my buddy takes out his hack saw and starts to cut open the chest cavity to bleed it. After all day of hanging, the deer had almost ALL his blood built up in that chest. So when he cuts open the deer, litteraly all the blood comes out within 1/2, all over my buddy. His nice blue jeans went to a nice red:) It was a whole lot funnier in the moment but i was crying

15. bwang

bwang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my buddy,First time turkey hunting,It was real windy.We pull up to the barn and see what appears to be a turkey strutting by a tree line.We looked through the binos and the wind makes it look like its strutting.We put a 2 hour stalk on and get to 50 yards and my buddy says it a F***in garbage bag.Laughed hard for at least half hour.Ruined a pair of pants trying to sneak a cross a diferent cow pasture fence

16. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine and I were hunting about 300 yards apart, and the deer were just not moving, making it a long morning. We had texted back and forth several times to pass the time. He had apparently sent me a text saying that he wished tiffany lakoski was in the stand with because he could use some.......(you get the point). Anyway, when we met at the truck, he asked me if i got the text, and I said no. He opened his phone and looked down, and got white as a ghost. I asked him what was wrong, and he looked up with this panicked look and said "oh s***, I accidentaly sent that message to my mom." I lost it. Hadnt laughed that hard in a long time. His mother later responded to him, and was not happy. LOL

17. jlucas1991

jlucas1991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A couple years back, my friend took me to his grandfathers farm to hunt. I had been there a few times before, but wasnt very familiar with the land at that point. My friend took his youngest brother to a field stand. He had a scoped pistol and his brother was carrying his rifle. His other brother took me back in the woods on the ATV. We parked about 100 yds into the woods and walked down the path to my stand. On the way there, he happened to mention that the trails can be confusing and that he had gotten lost last time he went back to this part of the woods. He dropped me off and kept on to his stand. I kept in contact through text message with my friend who was on the other side of the farm. His younger brother who had taken me out there did not have text message, and could only call. I prefer not to talk on the phone while in the stand.
    It was a rather boring afternoon so I decided to do a little rattling. Next thing I know, i get a text message from my friend saying his brother saw a big buck coming my way. So I get all excited thinking my calling was working. Well, I sat there til dark and did not see a thing. So right when I am about to leave the stand, I get a call from my friends little brother who told me that my friend was bleeding and needed to go to the emergency room and to meet at the ATV ASAP. He left out a lot of details. So I climb down from the stand and hustle down the trail to the ATV. After waiting there for a couple minutes, I give my friends little brother a call to see where he is... of course he is lost. It is a pretty large woods, so I am a little concerned. At the same time, I am extremely worried about my friend thinking there was an accident with his pistol and he may have shot himself. After some time I decided to take the ATV out of the woods and find his grandfather who knew the woods better than I did. After sending their grandfather to find him, I took the ATV over to my friends stand. I was extremely surprised to see him excited to see me. He had shot his first deer with a pistol. It was dark and I couldnt see anything wrong with him immediately, so I asked him what all the fuss was about with his brother. Then he shined the light on his forehead so I could see the giant cut he had received from the scope of the pistol. He was using a 44 magnum which had a pretty good kick to it. Earlier in the afternoon we had done some target shooting with this gun and he had constantly stressed the point of locking your arms out to fight the kick. I guess he got so excited when the deer came out that he forgot. It was quite a relief to see it wasnt serious.
    So going back to his little brother... he ended up getting so lost that he came out on the other side of the farm. Once I reunited with him, the first thing he said was 'did you here those two bucks fighting'. I almost died laughing. Apparently he had also told my friend who texted me and miscommunicated that there was a buck headed my way. I then told him that the rattling was in fact me, not a buck. We all had a pretty good laugh about that one.

Sorry if it may be a little confusing, I probably should have used names to make it easier to understand.

18. jlucas1991

Dislikes Received:
    Another moment I had also occured at my friends grandfathers farm. He took my younger sister to a box blind overlooking a small food plot. This stand was the closest to the house. I took his younger brother to a different stand. I heard some shots and texted my friend who told me that my sister had shot at one. So when it got dark I took the ATV and headed to their stand to help them look for the deer. We looked for over an hour for blood and did not find a thing. It was getting close to dinner time so we decided to head back. When we arrived back to the house, we saw a dead deer lying only a few yards from the shed, so we asked his grandfather where it came from. He responded by saying that he was out in the shed taking care of some fox hides that he had trapped when this deer ran out of the woods and dropped right there. Right away we assumed that this was the deer that my sister had shot at.

Well sometime after dinner, he decided to tell us the truth. His neighbor had shot a deer and brought it over to give him the meat. I was dumbfounded at the incredible joke he had just pulled on us all.

19. jlucas1991

Dislikes Received:
    quick turkey story. took my friend turkey hunting last spring. it was his first time. A group of 8 to 10 turkeys worked their way over to us from across the field. There was 3 or 4 mature toms and one giant. The rest were hens and jakes. We waited til they got to about 25 yds then he took the shot. They all took off flying in every different direction. There was a turkey down out in the field. We walk out of the pine thicket to go check it out. Out of all of the Toms in the field, he shot a jake that could not have weighed more than 10 lbs.

20. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Lmao. These are some hilarious stories guys! Keep em coming. :)