The drunk driver passenger, should they be held just as responsible for their....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Dec 9, 2012.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    decision to ride with a drunk driver. I can tell you right now, I rarely (I DID IT so I am not innocent) ever drove drunk during my 5-6 year heavy drinking period in college and shortly thereafter. However, I routinely rode with heavily intoxicated drivers. I made the decision to be a passenger in those vehicles, full well knowing the driver was blitzed.

#1=dumb to let my friends drive drunk but I did it...we threatened everyone's well being and could have killed innocent people

#2-I made the decision prior to even going out that I was going to be a passenger of a drunk driver on the way home

My point of this thread is this......the Cowboy player that was killed in that single vehicle wreck full well knew he and his friend were going to be drinking, went out and drank with his buddy, then made the decision to go home with his drunk friend. He HAS to assume some sort of responsibility for his own death. I know that sounds cruel but it is true.

2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Drunk or sober, it was the deceased persons own decision that put them in the grave. One just has more risk to it.

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There were multiple bad decisions made that cannot be changed. Pretty much sums it all up.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Vs I agree 100%.

Also on the sports reporters this morning lets give a shout out to Mike Lupica who finally said something drunk driving and guns in the NFL. He finally pointed out Alcohol is killing more NFL players than guns. He pointed out it's a way bigger problem, yet nobody is doing anything about it.

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree getting in the car put himself at risk....but ultimately he chose not to drive. Had the other guy followed suit, both would be alive and out of jail right now playing football today.

Not pretending to have a halo, but I see a huge difference in getting a ride while drunk and driving drunk. Same as hanging out w friends who smoke weed when you choose not to...

6. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How dare he spew such realistic knowledge? Doesn't he know who their sponsors are? Alcohol doesn't drive ratings like guns.

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It all has to do with head injuries .. they are the real culprits ....

8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well you are not right in the head if you drive drunk

9. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NO... the passenger does not receive the same punishment and be held just as much at fault. Yes it may be stupid and all the other things people have mentioned... but they're not as guilty. That's like saying all gun owners are just as guilty as the guy who murdered someone. We all know the rules. We all have been told the horrors of DWI. Some choose to ignore. The guy behind the wheel is guilty.... no one else. Yes the guy in the passenger seat made a bad decision.... but he wasn't in control of the vehicle. How drunk is a drunk? I don't know how drunk you are... but i know how drunk I may be. That said... there have been cases where bars and bartenders were convicted of lesser crimes for serving a drunk more booze.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I kind of worded it wrong David. I don't mean responsible in terms of punishment via the law, I mean responsible in terms of being dead because you made a bad decision to ride with a drunk driver.

11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Vs I understand what you meant. The kid got in a car with a drunk driver, he could have said no.

12. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is no different than if he left the bar alone and then hit someone while he was driving drunk. Whether or not his passenger knew he was drunk or not, the guy still chose to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence and someone died because of his decision. Therefore, vehicular manslaughter is in order (in my opinion).

13. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's with the idiots anyway. They make zillions of dollars and feel that life is not complete without "Clubing". They feel a need to go out in the fast cars into the wee hours of the morning and drink. They make enough money to hire a cab, a limo... any transportation they want.... but NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo... they have to drive themselves. Idiots is the appropriate word. It would seem somewhere someone would sit them down and tell them.... you don't have to be stupid just because you're dumber than dirt. In answer to the now understood original question.... YUP... the guy is guilt of being stupid and his family tree should not be allowed to file a law suit because the driver was drunk. He didn't have to get in the car. He could have spent 30 bucks of his millions on a cab.

14. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Worst is the NFL provides a driving services for them.

One thing I try and teach my kids, choosing your friends is very important. They can lift you up or drag you down.

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    x2.....

16. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you mix a seemingly endless pile of money and huge egos with a group of people that have grown up with very little to no discipline the end results will most likely be tragedy.
    And the worse part of this is the fact that the only thing thats going to change are the names of those involved.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I say he must share in the responsibility. You should never knowingly get in a car with a drunk driver, and even more than that, you should do everything within your power to stop that person from driving period. Driving drunk is pretty much the dumbest thing you can do. Putting your life, but more importantly, innocent peoples lives at risk. I have no sympathy for people who drive drunk.