New Bow Hunter Gear List

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by KaBar2336, Dec 4, 2012.

1. KaBar2336

KaBar2336 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to bow hunting and to this forum. I joined to get good ideas and knowledge about it. I looked for awhile and couldn't find a "new bow hunter must haves" thread. So I thought I would start one. I just bought a Browing compound yesterday with sight, case, 6 arrows(1 practice head), arm guard, and fingor glove(apparently the last guy who had it shot with his fingers), all for $80. I am going to get it restrung, add a d-loop, and adjusted to my 291/2 draw length friday. What else do you guys recommend for a newbie? Im talking clothes to tackle​

2. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First thing I would get is clothes and make sure to get light weight clothes and heavier clothes. Boots, I like muck boots but really anything warm and waterproof. I would get some optics. I wouldn't go into the woods without binoculars where I hunt. Maybe a range finder also, or get to know your yardage really well. It sounds like you have everything for your bow. I would get some more field tips and also a release.

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely the first thing is obviously a release for ur D-loop ur putting on. Then a target to get some good practice in. :)

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where you at in NE Ohio?

5. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The bow and all it's accessories are no doubt important pieces of the bowhunters arsenal, but none of those will save your life in the woods. A safety harness is a must have for anyone hunting out of a tree. I'm assuming you will hunt out of a tree. My safety harness is the most important piece of equipment I bring to the stand.

6. julien

julien Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    a good target would help

7. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting pack,Little saw, Bow pull up rope, Flashlight,Release, Trail markers, Bow hanger, Rangerfinder,some sort of deer stand,Find a broadhead and trust it, Facemask , and some sort of scent killing spray. Thats a good start

8. derekc1231

derekc1231 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest muzzy broadheads... I've had many problems with rage, with the razors not opening and things alike.... So muzzy broadheads are great and cheap! I also recommend Getting some doe piss, to cover your scent and some scentlock clothing to keep your scent locked in. Also i recommend a tree stand untill you are use to climbing great heights, then move to a climber as there more convenient and you can climb anywhere! Goodluck man!