Switch from Monotech to Rage?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mississippi, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mississippi

Mississippi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been thinking of making the switch to Rage... My Monotechs have served me well but it seems like it would be a lot easier using the Rage practice tips than tuning the Monotechs after shooting field points. Minor inconvenience I know but it's hard enough to find practice and hunt time. What are the pro's/cons to switching?

BTW I am shooting a Bowtech Tribute 30" draw set at 62lbs. Hunting mostly white tails.

2. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot Montecs last year and tuned my new bow with them this year. I switched to NAP Killzones because I wanted a larger cutting diameter head without having to mess with o-rings. I have taken 2 deer so far with them, the first went through the left shoulder bone-caught both lungs, liver, guts, and came out just inside the right leg.The second went straight through and cut the liver in half. Both shots were at about 20 yards. I shoot a Mathews Monster at 28" & 63# and couldnt be happier with the Killzones.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never shoot field tips. I have several practice broadheads that I always shoot. I dont have time to practice shooting with something that I will not be hunting with.

4. Mississippi

Dislikes Received:
    Short- I'll give me a look...

Fletch- my goal exactly! I'm tired of shootin through the target removing the head replacing the head an on an on. I'm thinking the pracice heads should fly like the real deal on the rage?

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This makes so much sense. Ive never really thought about it but if you tune your bow already for broad heads there no need to know if it hits with your field points since your already on. I will probably start doing this now.

6. Mississippi

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly!

7. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stay with fixed blades my friend. Is it worth the risk of the head not opening just because it was a bit easier it was a bit easier to practice with?

8. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot mechanicals since the day I started bow hunting. I have NEVER had a head not open. Iv shot, rage 2 blade, rage 3 blade, and now im shooting the NAP Killzones. Killzones are the best head made in my opinion. Open every shot, and cut a huge hole. The blood trail will blow your mind my friend

9. Mississippi

Dislikes Received:
    How do you tune for the kill zones?

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont understand. On my good targets, the broadhead does not go clear through and on the older targets when they go through they can easily be pulled back through. Not sure why you need to take the heads off? I would definitely stay with a good fixed blade broadhead. Too many things that can and do go wrong when shooting mechanicals. The fewer moving parts in your setup, the better. Rages are not worth half of what they charge for them.

11. iamsamsamiam

iamsamsamiam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had to do anything special for my montecs, they shoot almost exactly like a field point. Like others, I only practice with broadheads anyway. I wouldn't use anything but a fixed blade. I won't risk a mechanical failure. You spend weeks and months planning for this one moment, why would you add another variable that can fail? Better blood trail? Bulls*** I say. If you put a good shot on him, you'll have a good blood trail.

Fixed blades all the way.

12. kthomas21

kthomas21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are pro's and con's to each broadhead. I have shot the 2-blade Rage for years, and never has the broadhead not opened. I have also never experienced bad flight due to a head opening in flight. If your Montecs are killing the deer, then why switch. Each package of rage only comes with one practice head so keep that in mind. I have shot both fixed and mechanicals, and I know both work. I lean towards the Rage because of the average recovery distance in my hunts. The choice is yours, but I do not feel you will be upset switching to Rage, except the cost is a little higher than reusing the same fixed head.

13. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They shoot just like field points. I have shot expandables for years and have had great luck. Avoid the shoulder like you would with a fixed blade and you will be fine, But i a heavier arrow helps if u hit the shoulder with and broadhead.

14. Mississippi

Dislikes Received:
    Mine almost always go through... Maybe I'm just being too causious with mine. I was always afraid they would catch an pull my inserts out. Unless I'm past 40 they will shoot through both my delta an Glenn Dale Full Rut target. I was getting complete pass throughs on the Glenn Dale. Maybe it's spelled Glendell... I don't recall...