Completely new to the sport

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bch1988, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Bch1988

Bch1988 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,

As the title says I'm completely new to the forum, and bow hunting, but I'm interested to start (gotta extend my hunting season somehow).

I have inherited a Blackhawk hornet recurve from my grandpa (1960ish) and its a bear to shoot.

I want to look into a new/used compound in the 200ish range. Any advice on names/brands to look for?

Thanks for the help!

-Ben

2. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can find older Hoyts/Reflex's, Bears, PSE's and Martin's for that price all day long. New that price will be hard to hit. I killed my first deer with a 1999 Reflex pulling 55lbs. Nothing special but it got the job done. Goodluck and welcome to the forums.

3. Bch1988

Bch1988 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on a budget, so I'll probably stick with used. But I'll look into those names.

I'm just worried I won't get a good shot placement with that recurve and end up bleeding an animal for miles. Not how I want to take my first bow-deer.

4. iamsamsamiam

iamsamsamiam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mission by mathews are great bows. Im like you, not made of money, so spending a grand on a bare bow was not an option.

My craze was 299 new for the bare bow.

5. archeryguru2000

archeryguru2000 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a used bow for sale in that price range. It is listed here on the forums. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.