what bow should i get

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by julien, Nov 22, 2012.

1. julien

julien Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i am on a budget but am looking to get into traditional archery. what bow should i get?

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have never shot traditional I would look for a 3 piece recurve (recurves are often easier to shoot for people new to trad than longbows) that you can buy heavier limbs for. Start at 35-40# and move up once you build up your shooting muscles. There is no let-off with trad gear so starting too heavy is a common mistake. Leave your ego at the door and start light :) .

3riversarchery is a good online store with lots of trad gear; bows, arrows, etc. You can check some new bows out there to get an idea. tradgang.com is a great site if you think you want to buy used.

3. julien

julien Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any model in particular

4. chickenmcnasty

chickenmcnasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Samick sage is a great starter and very easyy on the pocketbook. I love mine

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

5. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a Bear Montana, excellent bows, can be had used for under $200!

6. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    3 rivers archery has a great starter pack that comes with a lot of options. It is the Samick Sage recurve. Only other thing you would need is arrows!

7. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Samick sage.

8. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on several things and since you're on a budget I think they become even more important. Draw Length... your draw length will effect your most effective bow length ( short draw length=shorter bow length ) This will effect smoothness of draw and affect string angle. String angle will effect string clearance on clothing.

If your goal is to hunt with this bow you need to check if your state has a min. bow weight. I highly recommend contacting local Trad. archers/hunters. You'll be light years ahead of the game. I don't recommend pro-shops as very few have any knowledge about trad. equipment.. even if they act as if they do.

9. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got my son a Martin Jaguar for around $150, and it's a great bow, imo.

10. SHTF

SHTF Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would take a look at Omega Longbow. Kegan makes some fantastic shooting bows for 335$ or if your a short Draw he can make you a shortbow for around 225. Here is a link to his site. http://www.omegalongbows.webs.com/ He is fantastic to deal with and hand makes each bow to its owners specification. Finding a custom bow for this reasonable is rare. I highly recommend him.

11. SeaHawk

SeaHawk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Two good starter bows in my opinion are the Samick Sage and (if you want an offset riser which has it's own pro's and con's) the Martin Jaguar. I have shot both (and own a sage) and they are good shooters, either of which can be had for under $180.00.