Recurve Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Long Beard Gobbler, May 26, 2009.

1. Long Beard Gobbler

Long Beard Gobbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking about buying recurve bow and I am not sure what to get for the poundage of the bow. I want to use it for both turkey and i am not sure what types of arrows to use for the bow and any other tips will be helpful

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you haven't a whole lot of experience with traditional bows make sure your 1st one Is a light draw weight bow (45lb range). Form and consistent anchor points are the 1st thing one has to get mastered when shooting bows such as these. Shooting a light draw weight bow makes It much easier to start off on the right foot. There a completely different monster then that of a compound so be prepared to get a little frustrated here and there when stuff Isn't going all to great. In time the light will shine If you stick with It, patience and lots of practice Is a must. As for arrows If your looking at shooting aluminum's 1916's should work out good for you In that 45lb range. Anything lighter then that draw weight wise I'd go to 1816's.

3. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started witha 45# recurve and I'm glad I did. It made the transition to my 55# longbow much easier than jumping in with a higher poundage bow.

4. Long Beard Gobbler

Dislikes Received:
    Do you not recommend using carbon arrows with a recurve? Also i cant decide between these two recurve bows the PSE Impala and the Impala deluxe takedown recurve so if anyone knows anything about these bows let me know.

5. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The right carbon arrow will be just fine. I shoot aluminum from my trad gear just because I was given several dozen. I also shoot Port Orford Cedar. I'd imagine that one of these days I'll try carbon. I'm sorry I can't give an opinion about those bows. I haven't shot them.

6. Long Beard Gobbler

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help everyone and if anyone has any other hints or tips to help me become a better recurve shooter let me know

7. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would look into an older Bear Grizzly for a 1st bow, you can pick them up all day long for around $150.00. This lighter poundage bow most likely will not be the bow you hunt with but a good starter bow. Thery are a great shooting bow and a solid workhorse of a Bow. Many critters have fallen to the Grizzly! Have fun brother!

8. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd also recommend something light and I'd get something used for a starter so that you can determine what you like and don't like for little cash outlay before you jump into something higher up.

9. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend a take down recurve as it sure is handy for travel and storage.

[​IMG]

10. Long Beard Gobbler

Dislikes Received:
    This is the bow i ended up with