jobs?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by splittine, Nov 1, 2012.

1. splittine

splittine Newb

Dislikes Received:
    im now at the age i am looking at colleges for next year. my question is can i find a career in the hunting industry to do with filiming or taking photos? any info is greatly apriciated!
    thanks guys

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wish that I had an answer for you because I am hoping to someday do the same thing. I think alot of it becomes networking yourself. Getting your name, pictures and videos in the hands of producers and really putting in the time. I rarely ever see companies put out ads for cameramen mainly because everyone knows someone and so many people would kill for a job in the hunting industry. Aside from that from what I understand it is very hard to make a living at it. Most do it as a side job during the season. Best of luck to you!

3. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the job oppertunities would be very limited. The main reason is you have so many people volunteering to do it for free just for the experience or the little side benefits, like gifts from the sponsors. I personally would volunteer to film for someone just to be able to be outside and in the stand again.

4. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree here. Don't make this a career plan, but a hobby. Maybe after many years, this hobby can turn into a career. The mistake many make going into college is that they are too narrowly focused. Go in very broad and over time it will narrow down. You need to look at job availability in "film making" in general first or else you will end up with an expensive piece of paper. Good luck!

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

5. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    jfergus7 hit it on the head. There are very few opertunities, but there are some. If you turn the tv on to the Outdoor or Sportsmans channel, there are how many different TV shows? Of all those shows, how many are actually enjoyable to watch? Good videographers and photographers are hard to come by. Telling a story from video isn't as easy as it looks. Filming a hunt is much different than hunting.

Now if you turn the channel to anything else...Who videoed that? Who cut that footage? TV shows, News channels, Discovery, History... Is there opertunites to be a camera operator? Yes!

If you enjoy hunting, hunt. If you enjoy filming hunts, do it with friends and family and keep it fun! If you are looking for a career, and you enjoy filming and putting together stories and photography, by all means look into digital media. You may be suprised where your career could go.

Best of Luck

Trevor