Supermag Tree Stands

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Lab Rat, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have previously purchased a Supermag Extreme Tree stand, but have had a misfortune with my foot climber. I have went to some of the websites for this product, but have had no help from any of them. I was told this tree stand was made in America, but later have found out this stand is made in china. The tree stand is a comfortable and quiet and is not as damaging as other tree stands I own, but so far I cannot find parts. So if anyone can help with some info it would be greatly appreciated.

Lab Rat

2. ncnat

ncnat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is the one you have made by Austin Outdoors? Their treestands were made in America but are now made in China.

3. ncnat

ncnat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. rgwson1

rgwson1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased a tree stand in august and Robert Burns had said I would have it before labor day. It didn't come until after labor day. Well he sent me a stand I didn't order and from what kburns said it was on purpose and the stand they sent was more expensive. I explained it wouldn't work for all the areas i hunt and needed the stand that I ordered. He said I could use the stand he sent until I got my stand, which would be October and maybe even November. Well its December and the stand has not arrived and haven't heard from Robert Burns at all. I did some research and found out there is a lot more than just me waiting on a stand. One guy has been waiting four years. Posted on (http://huntfish.net/client/2199/austin_outdoors) I think Robert Burns is scamming a lot of people. The stand he sent me says made in china

5. deerthirty

deerthirty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    supermag treestands\ austintreestands

Ive been dealing with Austin outdoors for 20 years and Robert burns .I got my stand in one day , its no scam .These stands have never been made in usa they have been made in Taiwan since 1990 when buckshot was started.They sell thousands of stands every year with great customer service. Get your facts straight before going out on a witch hunt

6. deerthirty

deerthirty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    supermag treestands/ austintreestands

As far as my hunt club goes we believe there the safest stand on the market,my dad is 74 years old and hunts out of the supermag every day.My buddy hunts with his 7 year old and 9 year old out of this climber both on the same tree ,they kill a lot of deer every year.

7. deerthirty

deerthirty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    supermagstands/austintreestands

Call Robert burns for parts you need for all your buckshots or supermag extremes he has them in stock talked with him yesterday 7047713114

8. jeepster1023

jeepster1023 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    True back then BuckShot stands were made in Taiwan...not China. Now BuckShot stands, Equalizer/BigShot/CenterShot are 100% made in the USA. Not affiliated with Austin Outdoors. Hope this helps.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Buckshot treestands are made in Wilmington, NC the last time I checked. They have not been making stands since 2011, but started taking orders again last month.

10. jeepster1023

jeepster1023 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well alot of scuttlebutt being talked about. There needs to be some rumor control intervention. BuckShot Mfg and Austin Outdoors are two different companies. True, BuckShot is a 100% Made in America company. They are and always will be the producer of the BigShot and the Equalizer Treestands. Mr. Robert Burns once an employee of Buckshot, produces the SuperMag by Austin Outdoors a replica/nockoff of the BigShot but made in China and always has been, maybe this is where the confusion is. And, to clear any confusion about BuckShot, they are back in business making stands and parts. The stands are heat treated, this gives uniform strength between the American smelted aluminum and the weld. Also, I am hearing "rumors" that things are going very well and they will be starting production, and the 1000 pre-orders no longer exist. They will be taking orders next week with no money down and if you want the lasered name tag, a $50 dollar deposit.

11. austintreestands

austintreestands Newb

Dislikes Received:
    jeepster1023 is the new owner of buckshot [come on give us a break ]

12. BJW002

BJW002 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the SuperMag and hunted out of it this weekend. I am VERY pleased with it. It was just what I was looking for. I prefer bars instead of cables to hold the tree. They may be a little noisier, but if you take your time climbing it's not bad. Anyway it's a small price to give up for a more secure feel. The bars on the supermag really grab the tree securely, and never felt that they might slip. Once you secure the slip/rachet ties, this stand felt rock solid.

+'s: 1) Can move seat to hunt against or toward the tree. very versital for both Bow and gun hunting.
    2) Most confortable stand I've hunted out of..... BAR NONE ....Hunt all day
    3) Bars over cables (personal preference)
    4) Adjustable rail safety bar & Back support....Nice for comfort and resting bow/gun
    5) Available replacement parts to order if needed.
    6) Price is reasonable

-'s 1) Not made in the US ( but the quality and welds look ok )
    2) Adjustable rail safety bar assembly directions and its operation is confusing at first.
    3) Backpacking instructions could be clearer for the safety bar setting and seatback positioning

Overall I think this a great stand and these will likely be the stands I will use from now on.

I can't speak of what happened in the past, but some of the posts on the forum had me leary to place an order with Mr. Robert Burns. I talked to him and he assurred me he had the stands in stock and I would have my stand in 2 days. I found him to be honest and straight up with me. I'm glad I purchased the supermag stand, as I like it alot, and I will continue to do business with Austin Outdoors

13. randyxx75xx75

randyxx75xx75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mr Burns,
    Hello, I am 53 years old and have been welding and fabricating since I took welding all 3 years in high school. It is my career, and livelihood. I have contacted Buckshot manufacturing and been to their facility and have seen their heat treating oven and testing apparatus. It is pretty much the same as I've used in machining weldment specs for GE, Corning, Dupont , and other high end customers, yes, a Rockwell hardness tester.

When aluminum is extruded, yes the extrusion process adds hardness or "temper" to the aluminum , however, once it's welded the area around the weld actually becomes weaker and not the same hardness as the weld or the surrounding aluminum.
    This area is known as the "HAZ" or heat affected zone.
    This is why when critical parts are required by companies that have to have tolerances and specs that are welded, require a certain Rockwell hardness across the weldment throughout the part, this requires heat treating, which is another process added to the cost of the part and can get expensive.
    I will say that I was impressed with the operation of Buckshot going the extra step to heat treat the stands AFTER welding is completed.
    With that said, I would like to ask ...
    Are your stands heat treated "after" welding is completed to a uniform tensile across the weld and through out the aluminum?
    And if so, is there documentation available stating such from your Taiwanese manufacturer ?, to the point that if I am 25 feet up a tree and the aluminum framing breaks "beside" the weld, (where most occur due to HAZ ) and I am injured or worse, that when my, or my families attorneys want to see this documentation and have testing done that it can be verified?
    I write this not to bash your product, nor to question the integrity of Austin Treestands in any way, I just want to make an informed decision on my first climbing tree stand purchase, as I Googled broken tree stand welds and was amazed at the amount of pages of broken welds and HAZ areas on most all tree stands including the most popular brand out there ! (don't want to be specific)
    With all due respect, thank you sir!
    Randy

14. onehunter

onehunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The old Buckshot Stands

I was at an Outdoors Expo last weekend in Florence S.C. and ran into a guy there who is tooling up these stands. They are basically the old Buckshot stands, which are also made by Austin Outdoors and called SuperMags. He said he has 500 stands currently in inventory and another 500 in production, along with another stand he is developing as well. His company was called Buckhorn Outdoor Products and he is launching his website in August. He seemed like a real good guy and said their parts would fit the old buckshots and supermags. The dealer for SuperMag was there as well and was taking $100 deposits to order a supermag stand, which he would deliver in September. He had some parts there on the table but not many stands. I bought a Cadillac stand from him because he didn't have any supermags.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  15. onehunter

onehunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a Cadillac stand this past weekend from him. I like the product, but he didn't want to sell me one from the showroom floor for some reason. Later one of his people tracked me down in the aisle and said I could buy his show model, so I did. This is a great stand. I would have bought the supermag instead but they didn't offer me one there. I would have had to deposit $100 and wait for the stand to be produced in September. It looked like inventory was low in his booth.

16. onehunter

onehunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Jeepster,
    Do you know if Buckshot has any of the Bigshots yet? I was hoping to get a supermag this weekend but Austin Outdoors is requiring a deposit to order a stand. I don't think they have any inventory because I was not able to buy a stand. Is Buckshot back up and running?

17. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    They say they are, but I have not seen where they have shipped anything. I checked their site yesterday. I have been waiting to buy an Equalizer for 2 years now.

18. Glenn Bright

Glenn Bright Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'll try Buckhorn Outdoors the other poster talked about. I had this stand before and loved it but so did someone else and it came up missing. Austin shows them on their website I bought my last one their and won't go that route again. I ordered it at the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh. Had to pay in full and didn't get it until the next season and only after many calls and E-mails. I E-mailed Buckshot months ago to find out when they would have them for sale. They said they would let me know. I haven't heard anything yet and checking their web site they still show out of stock. I believe they are still trying to get back in the game.

19. DEER HUNTER5

DEER HUNTER5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Purchased a tree stand from Austin Outdoors last year but was not able to use last season because of a couple of surgeries I had. I was worried about climbing this year, but what a great stand. Climbing was a breeze and it turned out to be the best stand I ever used. These stands are made in the USA, and are heat treated. Will be going to the Dixie Deer Classic to get a couple for two of my daughters that hunt. Glad to be hunting again.

20. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a stand from Austin Outdoors too and they are great stands. The fact that you are seated in a "chair" while you climb instead of sitting on a bar is so nice and a lot safer. The bar surrounding you also is a great feature. They are built really well and they are easy to setup and use. The fact that they are built here in the USA is Awesome!
    I will be at the Dixie Deer Classic Friday from 8am-noon and Saturday from 11Am to 3pm. I will be at the USA TrailCam booth telling people about bowhunting.com and getting them to join us online. I hope to see you there! :tu: