How long will the NCAA last?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by TEmbry, Oct 25, 2012.

1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have been discussing this a lot lately. With the constant move to conference realignment and possible 4-5 major conferences containing most every relevant team in football (the only sport that matters as money is what matters)....coupled with the NCAAs selective enforcement on issues... Will they be overthrown soon by conferences removing themselves?
    • Josh Selby accepts $5k+ in cash and benefits in high school, Refuses to cooperate with the NCAA...sits out nine games repays the money to charity.
    • Ryan Boatright accepts $8k+ in cash and benefits in high school AND college, Mother and Himself refuse to cooperate...... sits out nine games repays HALF the money to charity.
    • Enes Kanter grew up over seas playing for a basketball club that paid for his education to a school (which is allowed). His father (a doctor) set up an account to pay the private tuition in which the team deposited money. When he moved stateside to go to college, his parents cooperated fully, showing the leftover funds for the last year of school in which he instead moved to America, offering to pay it all back. NCAA rules him permanently ineligible to ever play in college.
    • Corey Maggette accepts $2k+ in cash in High school from an agent and went to Duke for one year helping them to a National Title game. It was later discovered after he moved on to the NBA. NCAA rules he or the school, couldn't have known that he would be ineligible because of it and no sanctions were offered.
    • Marcus Camby accepts over $40k in benefits from an agent while in college, cooperates with the investigation admitting it and says his team, coach, or school had no clue of his behavior... School is stripped of wins and repaid over $150k.
    • Derrick Rose was cleared by the NCAA to play college and he helps memphis to a national title game. After the season is over, there were questions raised about his SAT scores...He never responds to the testing board and the NCAA uses this as proof enough that he never took them himself. School is stripped of wins and repays over $600k.
    • Lance Thomas from the 2010 National Champs Duke pays $30k in CASH to a NYC jeweler for $100k in jewelry ( the rest given to him on loan repayable in 15 days)...which was only brought to light by the jeweler suing him for non payment. It is settled out of court days later, and the jeweler, school, nor player are cooperating with an investigation. No sanctions issued.
    • UNC as a school has been found to have forged grades, recorded classes that never took place, made up grades, and even made up classes in the African American Studies program at UNC dating back to the late 1990s, in which Basketball and Football Players made up 40% of the students. The National Championship team from a few years back had 9 players with majors or classes in the program during their championship year. NCAA issues a statement that academic fraud is out of their jurisdiction.
    • UCONN self reports grade errors and an APR falling below the NCAA standard. Fully cooperates with the info that they handed over themselves. Post Season Ban is put in place.
    • Penn State has the issue everyone knows about, that was being settled in legal courts. Before the legal court even rules, the NCAA threatens a death penalty to the football program to force them into a $60 million payback and over a decade of wins stripped....over an issue that had nothing to do with the student athletes in the first place.
    The NCAA has recently determined that making up FAKE classes to keep players eligible is outside their jurisdiction, while doing poorly in REAL classes will be sanctioned with a post season ban. Grades and academic fraud by the student athletes is out of their jurisdiction, while a criminal case against a former coach and molestation IS within their jurisdiction.

High School kids can accept money in high school, so long as they pay it back to charity if they are ever caught and sit out a few games. High school kids can NOT however have money left over in a tuition account to pay for their school even if they offer to pay it back, they are permanently ineligible.

Will they have to outsource their investigations to maintain integrity from now on, or will they be allowed to continue on sweeping some programs misconduct under the rug while crucifying other programs?

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm...I'm sensing a slight bias here, but I will agree the NCAA is a crooked mess.

3. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is a crooked mess but there is soooo much money involved it will never go away. Well, at least not anytime soon.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No not at all, UK has had a few dark moments and were punished accordingly.

I'm not even disagreeing with the Camby Rose decisions...just the lack of applying these same principles across the board to other schools. Strict liability should mean strict liability.

I tried to include as many examples as possible to avoid the bias, It's just that the cases I am most familiar with are the ones involving UK or players we tried recruiting.

IF nothing is done of the current Duke and UNC situations, I think the NCAA will be done before I am your age.

5. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is that an old guy joke? I hope Brad doesn't see this.

The Duke and UNC problem is very fixable. All they have to do is higher Calipari. Its obvious the NCAA has a hard on for his programs. Then it will all even out.

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Its hire. What did you do, move to the south?

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL again, I'm not saying that. Calipari has never been affected by these rulings as they explicitly stated he had no involvement in the infractions. I guess Kanter ruled ineligible kind of hurt him, but they made the Final 4 that year anyway so I don't really even count that.

Remove the 3 Calipari examples all together for the sake of argument...my point still stands.

UCONN and Penn State got screwed over from what I can tell too.

8. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shamed myself.