Early October Hunting - PA

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by StrikeForce, Oct 12, 2012.

1. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, let me preface this with, this is my first time hunting this time of year. I am in southeast PA. I have been told that the next week or so is not really worthwhile hunting because it is right before the rut. Can someone expand the theory on this? Is this a valid opinion? I keep seeing people getting good kills, but when I sit out, I don't even see deer even in places with so much traffic it looks like a cow pasture. So, just looking for some knowledge and welcome all thoughts. Thanks.

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This time of the year you hunt their food. If you are not sitting over food or near it, you wont see to much. What area do you hunt? urban or farm? what co? im from montgomery and grew up hunting bucks co.

Also remember, although lower odds this time of the year, you have soooooo much better odds from a treestand then you do from the couch!

3. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm on a 100 acre farm. All crops are off but neighbours are not yet. Problem with 100 acres has been I seem to be where they are not. Tons of traffic. No visuals.

I agree with the not being on the couch part. Got 2 small kids and was just on a business trip so got to kiss up to the wife some. Hope to sneak out in the morning for a few hours.

In the morning, would you hunt a bedding area or open field?

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt near bedding areas. Avoid fields in the morning...dont even walk near them if possible. odds are, deer are in the fields in the morning when its still dark and as the sun comes up will make their way to bed. You will bump then if you are in or near a field before you can even see them. Then in the afternoon they will work towards the field, so hunt field edge or close to it then. Also, if you have any oak trees, see if they are dropping much acorns, best food this time of the year...deer will go far for acorns.

5. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually try and hunt in the valley in the morning. I hunt from the ground as I only have 1 stand right now. However, I walk in through a field at dark. I will try to avoid that. I have a couple of spots near some clearings but I have yet to find their morning path. Ill keep working at it. Thanks.

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah buddy just keep at it. Pm me if u need more help.

7. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Was able to get out for a little this morning. Day started out disappointint but saw a doe followed up by a buck destroying a tree. Nothing in range, but I'll take that action right now. Means I'm on the right track.

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah. You'll get it down.