Too Late to Move Stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by StrikeForce, Oct 10, 2012.

1. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, in August I placed a tree stand in a prime location. Well, conditions changed and it is no longer prime. I have a new spot (original second option) near a deer highway. Is it too late to move the stand there? Better to get it done now before the rut? Thanks.

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

2. Sadlk

Sadlk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never too late to move!!

3. splinter2

splinter2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always have a Scout Stand, on my woods, I have 2 stands setup already, just going by last years results. But I have 3 more to Hang. As far as to late to move, I would say, No as long as you can do it somewhat stealth? Is your area large, I hunt a Farm lot appx 60 acer's, I try not to bump deer, but it happens, Just as long as they dont go running off blowing there heads off I fill I got away with, I wear Rubber booths and Camo when I set stands and I always get as scent free as Possible. Good Luck.

4. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I move my stands regularly....with no worries!

5. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, not too late to move it. I've had to move mine already this year. My best advice is to wait until mid day to move it, since deer will most likely be bedded down at that time. Also, give it a few days to a week to sit before you hunt it, just so your scent goes away

6. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure it is not near a daytime bed if you move it mid day. I've moved them in the dark before just to keep from bumping out of a mid day spot. It adds a level of danger but, I use a safety harness when moving mine just to make sure. I killed my second deer the morning after a midnight move. It was with a rifle but, she was only 30yd out when I shot her.

7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is just my thought not and necessarly true, but I think it really depends on what your hoping to accomplish with the move. Are you moving closer to a Mature buck? if so I think he'll make notice to it and move away for a while. if you just moving it to see deer in general then it's ok to do so; however, the deer will make notice to the recent addition, so you'll have to stay extra still while hunting in it. Also, the stand type I think makes a huge difference. I think ladder stands are harder to hide and the deer will notice them more often then lets say a climber or hang on. I prefer sitting in a ladder stand for confert, but I almost always get stared at by the deer before I shoot them.

8. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I completely disagree. We as hunters give mature bucks way to much credit for being smarter than they are just because they're hard to hunt. I try to never hunt from the same tree more than three or four times a year, hunt a ton with a climber some with hang ons, a bit with ladder stands, and always move to follow deer movement changes. Your first sit is almost always your best sit. Deer don't notice new stands unless you turn the area into a park while trimming, they react to human scent. Always play the wind when setting up and hunting and pay attention to your entrance and exit and you'll be fine. There is a reason why some of the best hunters are run and gun hunters, don't wait for the deer to come to you, be the aggressor but be smart about it.

9. smackhonda

smackhonda Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive moved my stand in the middle of a hunt before. I move my stands all the time. Deer seem to learn where your stands are and change there patterns so they can avoid them. I find this the same with my trail cams. If I sit in a stand and I see the deer are coming into a field from some other way, I will move my stand closer. I usually go in early before a evening sit, and move it.

10. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^^^^ this! I'm moving stands constantly through the season...

11. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've moved a stand last year when I couldn't get a buck to come in my direction, when he went out of sight, I took down my Lone Wolf alpha and sticks and moved around him and further up the trail from I thought he would take, sure enough, he came into 20 yards but I didnt have a clear shot, I thought that was pretty cool!

12. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am constantly moving stands throughout the season. Just be careful about the time of day you do it & don't screw around. Get it moved & get outta there.