Ground Level Hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by StrikeForce, Oct 3, 2012.

1. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, first year hunting (bow/rifle). Know the area I am hunting well, but not well enough to be sure of best spots to put a tree stand. Therefore, I am ground hunting without a blind for a while. I think I have it down. Had a buck stare at me at 10-15 yards and casually walk off. But, I would welcome any tips on this approach such as best way to draw and not get caught or how to move into a good shooting position. Thanks.

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

2. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ground hunting is hard. When you figure it out let us all know.

3. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great. Haha. When I do things I always love a challenge. Looks like I jumped in the deep end.

4. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try to draw when he is not looking or has his head down. He may (will) spot you drawing back and give you a split second to shoot. Good luck! Also really watch your scent and wind direction.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Ground hunting is definitely a more difficult but (for me) more intense hunting style.

One tip that I've learned over the years as a elk hunting tactic applied to whitetails is to sit in a place where your visibility may be obscured but you have the opportunity to draw. For example, there are many times where I will sit and place a big tree or cluster of trees between me and where I expect the animals to be. While it may obscure my view of the animal, I generally have a better opportunity to draw on the animal. It's kind of a catch-22, do you want to be hidden enough to get close and be able to draw or sit in the open to where you can shoot but may get busted trying to draw?

My other advice, keep your bow vertical at all times. I've seen more people get busted trying to get their bow from their lap to shooting position than actually drawing on the animal.

Good luck!!!

6. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still-hunting is my favorite and is alot more challenging than stand hunting. Knowing the area you hunt well will help you alot. The more you hunt this way the more you will learn about the deer that call it home. Treestand locations will suddenly become very appairent as you gain even more knowledge with each day in the woods. On warm dry days sit more in your blind, but on windy wet days still- hunt all day! Good luck.

7. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Additional question: so far I have been hunting a field edge and set up in the tree line and set up 20-30 yards from the deer trails coming into the field. Friday I plan to venture into the woods. I have a spot and know where the trails are. Would you set up near the trails or near an open area in a valley where all the trails meet? If I look down on this clearing, I have the high ground advantage but the trails may give a clearer shot in my opinion.

8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ground hutning is fun and intense, but you seem to be picking spots & sitting there, which you could just as easily do in a treestand. I'm a little confused why you think you need to already know the good spots before using a treestand?

9. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I don't know they are good spots yet. I see many trails and traffic patterns, so I am sitting to see if it is a good spot or if I see another location that might be better. I was figuring that sitting and learning by watching a large area would be better than moving slowly around.

10. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a doe last year sitting on top of a ridge about 25' up. There was a heavy trail at the bottom i watched. Thats where i shot her. She had no idea. Are there any ridges or benches in the area?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

11. StrikeForce

StrikeForce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think that is my plan for Friday. I have 2 smaller valleys that I can sit it. Both I think I can sit up the hill and look down. This maybe be a good plan. I'm seeing lots of does in the fields at first and last light, so interested to see what is going on in these wooded valleys.