Early season antler rattling

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by j.cannon26, Sep 25, 2012.

1. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wondering who has tried this with sucess. Seems like my deer are going into a different cycle. I'm hunting morning and evenings not seeing deer. Have 8 stand locations, acorns around, clover fields, creeks plenty of sign but still no deer. Located in KS anybody have the same problem?

2. Goin4-200

Goin4-200 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No but this is why I dont hunt till Mid to late Oct. Just isnt worth educating the deer. But thats just me I have private and I like to let the bucks get comfortable and take advantage of pre and post rut distractions (does). Again just what I do, Ive never had success in the early season...switched my tactics and have been getting better deer movement and activity(and kills). To each his own hope it gets better for ya.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you been hunting the wind? Getting to and from your stand quietly and without spooking deer?

4. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All Kansas posts so I just had to post something... I do not rattle this early. Do you have any recently picked corn fields? Several already out in my neck of the woods. I'll be posted up on picked corn fields in the evening as much as possible this early in the season. Watch your wind...I like that scoutlook weather website (scent cones)

5. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nope the only thing i would try this early is some contact grunts. They may get curious and come see whos knocking on their door. Just wait for the rut to come then we can have some fun and make some commotion! hunt the food in the evening and around bedding areas in the morning .. thats what i do