Work/Money or Family/living ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckhunter1415, Sep 10, 2012.

1. buckhunter1415

buckhunter1415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and basically have no life, the moneys really good for being 18 years old(about $1,000 a week) Every year I go to deer camp in the U.P(sort of like Escanaba in da moonlight) with some family members that I love to death. I've had my job for 55 days and I hate it, but again the moneys great. They wont let me get the days off. Im thinking about quiting? spending the time with my family and enjoying the little things would be a blessing. what to do?

2. ManicMike

ManicMike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is a choice you are going to have to make. Some people live to work but most work to live. I know through bitter experience that long hours in a job you hate can lead to burnout pretty quick. List the pros and cons of keeping the job. You might be surprised.
    As long as you don't get :whip:

3. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    7 days a week.. 12 hours a day... at mcdonalds you'll make $1000 a week (and get free food)... find a new job.

4. brotherbadger

brotherbadger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't realize McD's paid $12/hr. That's pretty good money for flippin burgers, wish i would have worked there as a teenager.

As for the OP, I'm not going to tell you if you should quit or not. That's a choice others can't make for you. However, if you DO quit, I'd recommend not to do so until you already have a job secured(I'm sure you realize, this, just stating the obvious). If it was me, i'd start looking ASAP, and keep working until i find a job where the pay/benefits/off time equal out to what you are doing now.

5. Country Lover

Country Lover Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You do what ur heart tells u to do. If ur not happy with ur job u are not a benefit 2 the people you work with.

6. WI_Hunter1

WI_Hunter1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beggars can't be choosers - work is work. If you want something different for yourself you’ll need some training and/or education. Being 18 with no skill other than your back is tough – I know I was there. Tried it for a year then decide schooling was my best bet. That was 20 years ago already. Seems harsh but that’s the world we live in.

7. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of job is it?

8. Boognish

Boognish Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Such is life, when you're young it's :whip: work work work then as you gain experience you can more easily slip into a job that pays more but equals out since the over time isn't there, but with a better quality of life. That's where I'm at now. I used to cuss the long hours and travel, but now I'm cussing cuz of 40 hr's/wk, but enjoying being able to pursue my interests. seems like I'm always just breaking even. why can't I have my cake and eat it too? lol.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  9. ZachTisdale

ZachTisdale Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was in this situation myself.. working 13.5 hours from home and never seeing family, but making good money. Now I'm back to my old career and am a happy guy for the most part. The money is still a stress, but it is worth it to me to not have to leave my family for 2 weeks at a time.

10. CrossTimbers

CrossTimbers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Life is too short to be unhappy. :cool:

11. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One time I got let go from a job I hated, found a job on a whim that I make more money and work less. If you believe in God, pray about it and see what answers you get. that's the best advice I can give.

12. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Start looking for another job, bank alot of cash between now and the trip and just go. Right before the trip try and get the time off, if they value you as an employee they will work with you. If they do not value you it is time to go anyway. They coyld pay you 10 grand a week, but if you cannot have anytime away from work it does not matter how much you make.

13. buckhunter1415

buckhunter1415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    its a welding/ machine operator in a factory. assembly line

14. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the same position as you when i use to work at a factory here in saginaw, michigan. My grandpa that lives in louisiana was in his death bed and when i found out i pretty much had time to get there hopefully and see him one more time before he passed. So i go into work the next day say hey is it ok if i can get about a week off to go see my grandpa thats in his death bed and they tell me they will give me two days i just about lost it then because i said two days ive gotta drive down there and then drive back those two days would be just for driving. So i just stayed at work that day thought about the pros an cons if i leave. I ended up coming in the next day and told them i was quiting because i needed to go see my grandpa one last time. It was based off this thought you cant replace someones life and you cant bring them back but you can replace a job, it may have been different if i was 40 years old and that was my career job but im 21 and still go to school the only reason i worked there was because of the money. Do the things while you can when your young because your just getting older and not any younger any time fast!

15. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    at 18y/o working 12 hr shift is nothing... that still gives you 8hrs in the day to spend all that cash chasing girls and 4hrs of sleep.
    Make that money while you can. Some people would cut your throat for that job in this economy.

16. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. At 18 i would work for a year and save up then move on. Missing one year of deer camp might not be the end of the world.

17. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you not happy then you should find a new job. being unhappy leads to depression this can effect everything else in your life. I don't think anybody has ever truly loved their job unless they are doing what they love and are good at it. i.e. Tiger Woods, Brett Micheals, Jamie Jamison, Justin Zarr to name a few.

I have my B.S degree in Organizational Leadership. I had to write an 90 page research paper on Employee Motivation. I learned so much from conducting that research. Your 18 years old and as green as they come, No Offence, there has to be something else that you want to do with your life other then work in a factory day in and day out. put your thinking hat on and come up with a solution. Suggestion - Go to school while your young and learn a trade that way. In 10 years the chances of you landing any sort of job without a degree will be more difficult then it is now.

18. MOhunter1988

MOhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^ i would have to agree with this^ Sure missing deer camp sucks but im pretty sure weve all missed at least one year for something, i know i have and it was for work also and not making nearly as much as what your making......i feel you pain, i'm currently working 2 jobs just to make ends meet and missing out on something that absolutely kills me to be missing which is spending precious time with my 2 sons (ages 4 and 1)....but until i find a good paying job that i can support my family off of i've gotta do what i've gotta do......it sucks but in the end it will all pay off and you can get some pretty good paying jobs later on down the road with the experience you're getting right now so dont blow it....

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    $1k/week is not that much money. Especially working as much as you do. I'd suggest going to school, unless you want to be working like that for the rest of your life.

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^ that x 2 if you are working straight time for 84 hours a week to make a 1000....you really need to find a new line of work.