Best Cover Scent?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Seubank, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Seubank

Seubank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wondering what is the best cover scent out there. I will be hunting out of a tree stand.

2. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what's really the "best" but I've always used Scent-A-Way cover scent / odor eliminator spray. I've used the acorn and fresh earth and both seem to work in my experience. The scent wafers are nice too.

3. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the best cover scent is to not use any! I read a study that was done with dogs and its been proven that they can smell you better when you are wearing a coverscent because you are actually adding scent to you which is unnaturally strong. Also if you have a Carbon based scent killing suit the carbon in the suit absorbs the cover scent which diminishes its strength and ability to absorb and stop your natural odor which defeats the purpose of buying it. Go buy some scent away and spray down well, pay special attention to the bottom of your boots and legs that will be contacting the ground on your way in. if you can afford it go with a scentblocker suit you wont be sorry.

4. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I'd rather smell like a "strong-smelling tree" than a normal smelling human.

Honestly, that "study" seems flawed from the start. Cover scent doesn't eliminate human odor and dogs by nature will follow their nose so its not surprising that dogs were able to trail someone using a cover scent. They probably smelled the cover scent as well as the human scent. Deer don't follow scents with their noses to the ground like dogs do. Its not like they notice a smell and say "Oh I need to find out what that is right now!". (now if we're talking about using other deer scents as cover/attractant - that's a different story - we're talking methods used to hide human odor so the deer is oblivious to you or anything being there).

I think in a practical scenario (not some test with an animal that we're not even hunting) you'd be better off with a cover scent than nothing at all. A deer is probably more likely to smell a human scent and be on alert than if they smell a stronger smelling somewhat-natural scent.

As for the carbon-based clothing, you obviously wouldn't want to spray down then put the clothes on. You'd want to spray the outside of the clothing and boots, hats, etc.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd get this. Should solve all your problems.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    is that real?

7. gene hurt

gene hurt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the scent away detergent then let my clothes dry outdoors by the pine trees, two reasons pine needles are known to help keep mosquitos awayvand it helps to cover any human odors. Good luck all.

8. M. T. Cartridge

M. T. Cartridge Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey brother, I mentioned this on here several weeks ago but I have been using Force Field De-Scent. It uses an enzyme that eliminates human odor in clothing, on you, then they have a field spray that I use once I get in the stand to knock down any smell I picked up from my truck. I gotta say I have had more deer in close than ever before even coming in down wind when I was using a ground blind. I bought it at a gun show but they have a web site. www.forcefieldpro.com then go to their outdoor sports tab and you will find the De-Scent system. I use it all but I guess you use any one of them alone.

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use no cover scent. only scent eliminator spray by dead down wind. I'd rather try to mask human odor and hunt the wind than put on something that smells abnormal and strong.

10. nagyiii

nagyiii Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Scent Killer 99.9% cover spray and laundry soap. I also keep all of my hunting clothes in totes with sealable lids, with fresh earth scent wafers added in.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use a cover scent. I use Dead Down Wind products. I too keep all my hunting gear in a container with a lid. I also wash a towel in scent free detergent and take it to wipe away any sweat when I get to my stand. I get to the stand early to give myself time to cool down from the walk in.

12. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use scent away earth scent or scent killer autumn blend, those two pretty well blend in with any area. But i also use a spray or two of Fitzgeralds deer dander on my boots when walking in and one spray at the base of my tree and it seems to help alot when the deer get right next to my tree ,the deer seem to not get as nervous and even had does lick and smell right where i sprayed it.

13. Boognish

Boognish Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use scent killer, and my own cover scent made from creek water and natural materials i gather from my hunting area.

14. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use scent away spray, dead down wind laundry soap, scent away body soap. never had a problem.

15. Carl77

Carl77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent-a-way all the way, here. I just pay special attention to the bottoms of my boots, my boots and my pants. Also areas where your body protrudes from your clothing. i.e.-wrists, neck, etc... Just because thats where your own scent escapes from

16. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use skunk scent. (not on me) I put a couple drops on a rock or branch next to my stand.

17. CaveRun_KY

CaveRun_KY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    X2

I use the fresh earth spray and the scent wafers! :)

18. Billy-Kayla Pulsifer

Billy-Kayla Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    baking soda, then scnt-away 99.9% if im hunting me cedar area even after scent away ill grab some cedar and rub it on my clothing works wonders.(depending on your land layout)

19. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Scent killer laundry soap and broken pine needles or cedars will work for you cover scent. A laboratory can't produce what is already made by mother nature. I have found the best cover scents are already growing around my treestand!!!

20. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can not cover your scent. What you can do it work on keeping the odors to a minimum. You have foreign odors, bacterial odors, and human odors. The first two can be easier to work on but you will always give off human odor. It's falling from your body continually.

Animals like deer and dogs can pick out different scents on the molecular level and they can pick those out in parts per million. Just because one scent is strong doesn't mean it will over power another. If it did then a deer could not smell where you stepped walking across a field or woods. If we bend down and smell the ground were we stepped them all we smell is dirt, weeds, leaves, corn stalks, and so on. We can not smell the spot we stepped at all yet a deer can. Even though these scents are undetectable to us they can follow them at a fast pace. Thats because it can not be over powered with other scents.