Getting a New Bow, Need Help.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckhunter1415, Jul 23, 2012.

1. buckhunter1415

buckhunter1415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello im looking to spend $500 or less on a newer bow. I like the PSE Brute or the Bow Madness, the Bear bows look nice as well, I would like your guys opinions and like to hear your experiences with the bows you have now. I can pull back up to 65 lbs and have a draw length of around 29''.Thank you guys, please help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the best way to determine which bow you may like the best and what is the most comfortable to you, is by testing each one out by shooting it (if you are able to). I personally started out on a now very antiquated Bear bow. Loved that bow. Still have it. I also have very close friends who have sworn by the PSE bows. Ultimately its whatever feels most comfortable to you. Good luck!!

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of great bows out there in that price range. Your best bet by far is to go to a good proshop and shoot as many different bows as you can. Bows are one of those one size doesn't fit all products. Some will simply feel and shoot better for you.

Good luck on your quest! :tu:

4. ohiohunter

ohiohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously as above stated I would reiterate, shoot em and find what is comfortable.

My 2 cents, buy a Mission bow by Mathews. They are half the price of the Mathews bows, but they are built just as well. My buddy has a Mission endeavor and it shoots just as fast at my z7x and is also pretty quiet. Can't go wrong with a Mathews made single cam ;)

5. buckhunter1415

buckhunter1415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt really know that they would let you shoot their bows. So like cabelas, ****s sporting goods, or gander mountain?

6. BigUTMuleys

BigUTMuleys Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can tell you that Fitz and Junior are both right in IMO.... I was in your shoes about 4 months ago and did as they said, shoot as many bows as you can.. you have a lot of options for $500.. Bear, PSE, Diamond, Mission.. all have some great bows. but what really matters is how it feels to you. I wouldn't rush it, take your time and make sure you get what you want. I think it took me over a month to finally decide what i wanted.

7. BigUTMuleys

BigUTMuleys Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most of them will let you shoot the bows there.. The only caution i would throw out is they sometimes have employees behind the counter that don't know much about the bows... I say that because I am fairly newer to shooting and i have had time that i know more than the rep .

8. jbone302

jbone302 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try to find an actual archery shop. 9x out of 10 the guy at ****s has very litle experience. The guys at the pro shops are much more helpful. No I'm not saying you have to buy it there but he will set up a few bows to your draw and length. I an new to archery. I started shopping around Jan. Fell in love with the bear. (it fit in my price range) Till I shot it... I ended up getting a great deal on a used one that felt like a glove when I picked it up. Also saved a few hundred bucks. I did return to the local proshop to buy my release and some arrows since he was very helpful.

9. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend the PSE Brute X. You can't go wrong with PSE and their customer service is great. Plus, if you ever decide to upgrade PSE's are easy to sell because they have an adjustable draw. If you can afford the Bow Madness then I would probably go with it.

10. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't buy a bow from ****s sporting goods

11. santibowhunter

santibowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    go with the bow madness amazing bow fast and smooth. Trust me you can't go wrong

12. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot a bunch then go buy a Mission. I have the Endeavor. Quick and quite.

RC

13. Celtic Viking

Celtic Viking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Brute X and have zero complaints with this bow, it's a dream to shoot and it performs just like the more expensive bows out on the market. With that being said though, I agree with the other posters. Shoot a bunch of bows and buy the one that feels the best to you, they all will take down a deer, it's just a matter of your personal preference.

14. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't go wrong with a mission bow. Price is unbeatable and the are really nice bows!!! And they have the Mathews warranty!!!

15. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would never buy a bow without shooting if first. If the place won't let you try one go out the door. The most important thing is how the bows feel to you. You can't figrure that out unless you shoot it. Try all the ones you can. The last time I was bow shopping I shot 19 different bows from 7 makers. Some I knew before I even shot them it was not for me...but I shot it anyway. I let the bow pick me. There are lots of good bows out there for $500. I too think Mission is one to try for sure.