What brand of scent is best?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Chiro_Archer, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am still new to using scents, so I have used the Golden estrous for the most part, I haven't used any dominant buck before, but may be using some this fall. My question is what would you guys use for recommendations? I have heard James valley is a pretty good scent as well. Pretty much just looking to learn some more and see what else is out there from everybodies experience instead of what the marketing is doing for the product. Thanks guys!!

2. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have tried a lot of them
    I personally like s&p
    But price wise golden estrus is the best low price scent

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been a fan of Tink's scents. I'm going to be using the Power Scrape quite a bit this fall.

4. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All of them work some of the time, none of them work all of the time. Its based on a lot more than brand name.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    S&P is a great product...I just wish dixie outdoors wouldn't have gotten involved with them as I attempted to be part of the S&P Prostaff but they never communicate with me at all...so back to just buying the product and nothing more. I'm still listed on the site which is hilarious to say the least: http://www.spdeerscent.com/currentprostaff.shtml

6. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never paid much attention to the brand name as I do the collected date. I no longer trust big box stores. Wal-mart, K-mart because they just put the scent in a box and store it for next year. That's a major no go in my book. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe urine will turn bad after a period of time regardless if it's been open or not. If you have a local archery shop or bass pro/cabalas go there and get the scent in the fridge. They are fresh and they should be 100% real. I don't know if I trust the major brands to stick only deer pee in that many bottles and not water them down. This is just my thinking on the subject and I have no proof nor am I trying to bad mouth any companies. I prefer fresh pee when I use it.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    S&P is just that...frozen pee is for me! :D I have starting using less and less scent over the past few years, but when I do it's S&P 90% of the time.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some things in life less is more. Save your money, the amount of scents sold vs the number of times they work the percentage is abysmal....haven't used anything in years and I don't plan on starting again. And since I stopped I haven't fared any better or worse.

9. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pete Rickards Old Indian Buck Lure. Been using it 32 years now and don't see a reason to try another brand.

http://www.peterickard.com/

10. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, I agree alot with bits of what everybody has said, I don't go strictly by the name, its just ones I usually see used more, and again I understand tht is marketing for the brand, that I was wondering if any had a good following. I ABSOLUTELY look at the date on the bottle. I was just wondering if anybody had better experience with their local pro-shops "out of the fridge" local frozen supply or if there would be a general consensus :-). Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming!

11. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will be doing the same!

12. ILL BUCK

ILL BUCK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me start by saying that I love using scents, or should i say I loved using scents! With out a doubt my succses went up when I stopped using scents!

I do use earth flavored scent killer on my rubber boots everytime out and will use synthetic forehead scent sometimes.

13. Ken6

Ken6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like Buck Bomb spray Doe in Eustrus, also use Tinks Buck Lure, and this year I am going to use Buck Bomb Scrape Strips.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'll agree in that when I began to only use it sparingly and intentionally did I feel it, or should I say lack of it, started working better for me.

15. WildAdrenaline.com

WildAdrenaline.com Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Scent Shields...Still Steamin! Call it a coincidence, but I've consistently lured dominate bucks into this particular estrus. Across fields, down trails, I've even had them charge through creeks. This estrus is hot and effective year to year.

16. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with this!

17. twillcox

twillcox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use James Valley. The stuff is amazing.

18. silver fox

silver fox Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Use of deer scents

I have been bow hunting since the 1970's and I can say that I have killed many deer (bucks and does) using various deer attracting and deer sex scents. Starting in the 1970's I used a very powerful apple cover and food scent that enticed a doe to follow my trail even smelling the tree trunk that I climbed. During that time I used Pete Rickard's Indian Buck lure and killed a number of deer (mostly bucks) with it. I have used Tink's #69 doe in rut with their tarsal gland and Code Blue doe estrous with a lot of success I have also used Buck Stop Nozee to bring deer in to my stand or ground blind. In 2013 I decided to use Code Blue's Standing Estrous scent in a mock scrape for the first time and I was very pleased with the results. I made the mock scrape and hung a drip (with the little curly tube) over it the middle of October, put a camera on it , waited a week before hunting it and had some of the biggest bucks you can imagine come in and put their nose in that scrape. I'm talking about 150-160 class 10 pointers, 140 class 8 pointers and one monster 8 pointer that was at lease 30" wide. So keep your body clean, wear clothing and boots that will kill your scent and enjoy your hunt. The main thing is to read deer sign, think like a deer and learn from every hunt. A deer scrape before the peak of the rut is like our club or bar, it's where deer meet to have an affair. You have to know the wind because that old buck will be scent checking the scrape on the downwind side. I have used these scents to lay down a scent trail too with much success. Good hunting and the scents I have mentioned here worked for me.

19. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use any scents at all. I go through so much effort to remove all scent (showers, scentblocker suit, don't dress till I'm at the woods etc) that it seems highly counterproductive to then introduce scent to the environment.